Parallels doesn't see my Windows partition to make a VM!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by imacken, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Andrew Davidson

Andrew Davidson Junior Member

I am another 12" Macbook user with this problem.

Also totally disappointed with Paralllels attitude to customer support, when you buy a product that doesn't work, you have to pay them to get help for their software issue!

2. TimothyB1

TimothyB1 Bit poster

Yet another 15" 500Gb 1.3GHz 2015 New MacBook user here with same problem - Windows 8.1 Pro on 100 Gb Bootcamp install works fine in native / Bootcamp boot, but Parallels cannot see it

3. Dishant@Parallels

Dishant@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello All,
    Please try to follow the steps here in the knowledge based article http://kb.parallels.com/116235
    In case if the issue still persists kindly reply us here or you can also give us a call anytime at the following 2 numbers- Toll-free: +1 888-811-2489
    International: +1 703-579-0156.

4. Andrew Davidson

Dishant,
    I thought you were already aware this is an issue with the new Macbook?
    You stated this to your reply on my thread regarding this matter:
    https://forum.parallels.com/threads...al-machine-from-boot-camp.328711/#post-771513

instead of asking people to call and discuss why its not working, you need to be fixing the bug so we can use our Macbooks!

khaledf likes this.
  5. ghtop

ghtop Member

Dear lord surely this is a new low in the support here ... I'm starting to think that level one just has a daily quota to fill, and it doesn't really matter what they post ...

6. ErikT2

ErikT2 Member

I have a new 15" rMBP and parallels does not see my bootcamp partition/VM either. Manually selecting/configuring the VM settings just gets me to a "Trying to boot from SATA drive 1..." command line. Is this due to the m.2 SSDs Apple is using now? Does anyone know if Fusion has this problem, or if it's just parallels?

7. ErikT2

ErikT2 Member

I downloaded a 30 day trial of fusion - it can see my bootcamp installation of windows 10 enterprise x64 build 10130 *AND* boot from it without a hitch. *sighs* Looks like for the next 30 days, I'll be using vmware... hope Parallels gets a release out before my trial expires that can fix this "bug"...

Andrew Davidson likes this.
  8. Andrew Davidson

Ok I will try doing the same, not having a solution from Parallels is killing me.
    If my trial period expires with Fusion and I still dont have a fix then I will be saying goodbye to parallels forever!

9. marat_t

marat_t Pro

Best Answer
    Hello all,
    1. Boot Camp on 2015 Macs. New Macbooks are equipped with SSD that have 4-kb sectors. The older had 512-b sectors. Parallels doesn't handle this scenario and currently Development is working on this issue.
    2. Windows 10 in Boot Camp (not on 2015 Macs): http://kb.parallels.com/en/122808

Guys, sorry for inconvenience. Currently everybody is doing their best to resolve it.

10. ghtop

ghtop Member

Meanwhile, the new (free) VMWare Fusion Technology Preview has a solution for creating VMs from Boot Camp partitions on the new 12-inch Macbook that addresses the 4KB sector issue:

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2523134#2523134

They need more volunteers to test out their implementation (for free until December 2015). As Parallels hasn't made any progress here, and there's no ETA for a fix, this may be the best current option for everyone.

11. Andrew Davidson

So my Fusion trial will expire soon.
    Do you guys have a solution close to ready yet?... or do I wave goodbye to Parallels forever????

12. ghtop

ghtop Member

@Andrew Davidson The VMWare Fusion Technical Preview license is free for all users until December 2015. I can confirm that it works fine with the 12-inch Macbook and Boot Camp VM of Windows 8.1 64-bit, although not as smoothly as Parallels.

It's disappointing that Parallels released another update this week that ignored this issue and just improved support for Windows 10 Technical Preview. The radio silence and lack of an ETA for the simple fix we're waiting for is frustrating, to say the least.

I suspect that we'll need to wait for Parallels 11 and another license upgrade :(

13. MarkJ2

MarkJ2 Bit poster

I'm seeing precisely the same issue. For some reason, Parallels worked until Windows 10 was "shipped" on July 29th, and I upgraded my Windows 8.1 Bootcamp volume to Windows 10. When this happened, my VM stopped working due to a Harddisk error. I deleted the VM, and am trying to build a new one, without success. The machine, a 2015 Macbook Pro 512GB, hangs while trying to boot from SATA drive 1. Please let us know when this gets fixed. Thank you.

14. ShervinF

ShervinF Bit poster

Same here!

15. johnc5

johnc5 Bit poster

Why is there no ETA on this issue? I filed a bug on this months ago when the 12" macbook started shipping. Thank you.

16. gregr1

gregr1 Bit poster

Just one more voice to the group. I am having the same problem. I have a MBPro Late 2013 model (so not a new mac but it has the 1TB SSD) that had a W8.1 Bootcamp partition that worked perfectly in Bootcamp AND in Parallels. Parallels used the Bootcamp partition; I have/had no other individual or independent VM's in Parallels.

I updated the Bootcamp partition to W10 a few days ago from within Bootcamp. The update (surprisingly...) went 100% smoothly. And W10 runs perfectly when I use Bootcamp. However, Parallels no longer sees the W10 Bootcamp partition or offers the option to add Bootcamp. Using the Parallels method of adding a Bootcamp partition via "Continue w/o Source" simply gives me (like everyone else) a black screen that states: "Trying to boot from SATA drive 1". Then it just sits and blinks at me.

I tried KB Article 122808 but that did nothing except lead to more frustration.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  17. khaledf

khaledf Bit poster

poor support & respond from them for this problem to fix it from now one no buying this shit software again or upgrading
    it looks like VMWare Fusion is the best option since this team support r doing nothing but sit in the Ass for months with fixing this problem
    everybody having this problem don't wait for this lazy Ass's support team & go to VMWare Fusion instead & by this the parallels will lose a lot of there customers so they learn how to work there Ass better in fixing problems for users who buy there software

18. gregr1

gregr1 Bit poster

So. I got mine to work.

I re-tried KM article 122808 (sorry, don't have a link... it is titled 'Unable to create Boot Camp based virtual machine with Windows 10 Technical Preview') and Parallels opened the Bootcamp version of W10 just fine. I have a MBPro Retina Late 2013 model 1 TB SSD, so I can't speak to the new models out there that are having problems. Not sure if this will fix them or not.

A few points:
    • I had to install the trial version of Paragon (as outlined in the article) to open access for the new Parallels provided Volume.inf. You just need to have open the Bootcamp folder on the Mac prior to trying to change the access levels or Paragon won't see the Bootcamp volume otherwise. Make sure to keep a backup of the old Volume.inf file. Parallels' provided file is very small; the original is 2 Kbytes. There might be something worth saving from the delta but not sure.
    • When switching to the full running version of Bootcamp (with the new Volume.inf file), all seems to be OK. So, replacing the file didn't seem to impact Bootcamp itself. (At least for now.)
    • When running Parallels connected to the W10 partition in Bootcamp, there seemed to be some 'hiccups' compared to W8.1. Hard to describe. I assume that the Parallels Tools needs some updating. Nonetheless, W10 Bootcamp runs in Parallels. The display scrolling and mouse movements seem to be a bit off, however.
    • I am getting the Activation Request as noted in other articles. However, when clicking on the screen to re-activate, the activation dialogue screen (not Windows itself) freezes. I assume that Parallels Tools needs some more work.
    Good luck.

Note: The issue with Activation worked itself out after a few days. All appears to be working fine now when running Parallels 10 using the Windows 10 Bootcamp partition.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  19. Andrew Davidson

SO they now released Parallels v11 but still no bug fix for v10. I most certainly am not paying to upgrade a product that hasnt been working for me for 6 months because of a bug in the current version.
    Obviously all their effort has gone into the new version, and their answer will be.. if you want a fix you can buy an upgrade to V11!!

you suck Parallels!!!!!

20. NisseR1

NisseR1 Bit poster

I agree with Andrew, but if I change my mind and decide to buy the upgrade it would be nice yo get feedback that this is solved in v11 or not. Anyone tried it?