Parallels in Catalina: I can't write to a Mac folder.

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by 한근영, Jan 20, 2020.

1. dstrass

dstrass Junior Member

NOT SOLVED. This issues keeps coming and going. Now, I can't save my files from Win7 to iCloud.
    Some files save, some don't. It's intermittent.

2. YanniL

YanniL Bit poster

Anyone help? I setup Paralles Desktop 16 for Mac, and the system is win10. I don't want to use win 10, How can I change win10 to win7?

3. dstrass

dstrass Junior Member

You need to create a new virtual machine and install Win7 or copy win7 from another computer.

4. TexanInParis

TexanInParis Bit poster

I'm seeing the same problem in Win 10 running in Parallels Desktop 16 [Version 16.1.3 (49160)] on macOS Big Sur Version 11.2.3. Parallels Access is authorized for Full Disk Access. It fails on any folder that's stored in iCloud. If I select one of those folders in Windows Explorer, right-click, and choose Properties, it says the folder is Read Only. If I try to clear that and Apply, I get errors. Apparently Parallels Desktop doesn't work nice with files in iCloud - which is where all my useful stuff is located. If I look at folders / files that are on my hard drive, I can manipulate those fully and write to the folder.

5. AinR

AinR Bit poster

I'm having trouble with Downloading Windows 10 on my mac (Catalina 10.15.7). When the Installation Assistant tries to install I get an error note saying "Unable to save the operating system installation file in /Users/AshyiaReyes/Downloads."

6. Lubov

Lubov Bit poster

Hello,
    I have Parallels Desktop 17 and macOS Monterey 12.1 -
    I don't have full access from Windows machine to folowing folders: Documents, Desktop, Pictures, Downloads.
    Parallels Desktop app has full access in macOS security settings.
    Could you please help me to solve this issue?

7. Adam_B

Adam_B Bit poster

I have a similar issue. It has been ongoing and presents intermittently. I only use MS Excel on Win 11 ARM on a MB Pro running Monterey. Everything is updated to the latest versions. (Excel, Mac OS, Win 11 ARM, Parallels). I routinely cannot use "Save As" feature within Windows Excel to save to a Mac volume (presented by default as \\Mac > Dir >Subdir within the Windows Excel UI). However, I can make it work for a little while (minutes, hours if I stay in the same workbook) by using Windows Explorer to browse the list of network drives that are mapped from the guest OS to my Mac. Literally clicking on the Z drive, then the Y drive, then the X drive within Windows. It seems to re-open the connection to the Mac file system on a temporary basis so that I can save Excel. Functional but inefficient and profoundly annoying. Despite several reviews to the contrary that I suspect are planted PR efforts, I've found the ARM transition to be disappointing. Major gripes are the large amounts of additional RAM allocated by the OS beyond what the Guest OS actually has access to, bizarre compatibility glitches with peripherals like external mice and keyboards and this super irritating file system sharing issue within Excel.
    I have consulted with support but as soon as I used my Windows Explorer trick to make it work, they determined the issue was solved and moved on. I have a number of colleagues who use a similar setup as I do because of the need for a full functional Excel application and I've warned them that I have less RAM available on a 32 GB ARM MB Pro than I did on a 16 GB Intel MB Pro running the same functional setup, plus all of the annoying glitches that have forced me to buy multiple keyboards and mice to solve. While it's worth the trouble if you absolutely need the capability, you really need to be motivated and have some additional resources to throw at managing these headaches. My impression is that the ARM migration is much harder for the software companies to get right than anyone is letting on, even after being generally available in the market for well over a year. If any one finds a solution that makes the shared file system access reliable across these two platforms, please post here.

Thanks,
    Adam