Parallels Instantly shutting down with no warning.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by emartbrown@yahoo.com, Jul 9, 2007.

1. emartbrown@yahoo.com

emartbrown@yahoo.com Junior Member

I have been running 3.0 on my Macbook Pro and these last few days have had parallels just instantly shut down with no warning. One second I am running windows xp, the next it vanishes and Parallels is off, just sitting back in my Applications menu. My mac then will say the "Parallels quit unexpectedly and would i like to report it?"

I am running OSX 10.4.10.

What is going on? Please help...

This never happened before with 2.5 and has only recently started (3x now in last 24 hrs) with 3.0. 3.0 had been running fine these last two weeks, so perhaps it is related to the latest Mac OSX update?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  2. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Hello emartbrown
    Try to uninstall Parallels Desktop version 3.0 using "Uninstall Parallels Desktop" application from Parallels Desktop 3.0 version .dmg package. Reboot the Mac.
    Delete these folders, if they can be found in your system:
    /Library/StartupItems/Parallels
    /Applications/Parallels
    You may also need to delete the following files (it is recommended to restart your Macintosh computer before deleting them):
    /System/Library/Extensions/vmmain.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/hypervisor.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/Pvsvnic.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/ConnectUSB.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/Pvsnet.kext
    Restart your computer again and install Parallels Desktop for Mac

3. emartbrown@yahoo.com

What about the virtual hard drive i have been working with? What will happen to all of my data/work/applications/ etc...? Will this erase all of that?
    If not how do i save it? I have a lot of material in my Windows xp VM and do not want to jeopardize that.

4. emartbrown@yahoo.com

Ankou? Support? Also what has caused this, so that i may safeguard from this occurring again in the future?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  5. John Howard

John Howard Hunter

Emart - based on what Ankou wrote above, I think your VM hard drive will be safe. If you are using Windows XP, the VM hard drive file is named WINXP.HDD. Spotlight it and back it up before doing anything else.

Couldn't tell you how to prevent it from happening again. But then again, I'm not a support tech - just a passerby with some empathy for your suffering this incomplete, "hit-and-run" so-called support that is so common here.

6. OrangeMarlin

OrangeMarlin Bit poster

Ankou, that sounds like a harsh solution. Can you confirm I'm not going to lose everything?

7. emartbrown@yahoo.com

Ankou, I would appreciate hearing from you with regards to my previous question regarding my vm hard drive. How can i keep it if i re-install 3.0?

8. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Hi folks
    Everythink will be fine, your VM will be in safe.
    just in case backup your VM first