Parallels is not seeing my CD/DVD Drive

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by AndyCarolan, Jul 30, 2012.

1. XxXiaoTinGxX

XxXiaoTinGxX Bit poster

i cant solve it! i just bought it and take me half of a day! no matter try using iso file or installation disc of window 7 both wont work! keep appear the problem mention all above!

2. HKurka

HKurka Bit poster

I can confirm that a reinstall worked fine from me. I uninstalled from Terminal

3. qVAMPIREp

qVAMPIREp Bit poster

WOW!! I have the same problem and can't even install Windows7. This does not inspire confidence. If you can't get this simple thing to work what hope is there? I'll try again then back to Fusion for the duration!!!

4. XxXiaoTinGxX

XxXiaoTinGxX Bit poster

i have solve it by keep reinstall and simply do here and there..it is really a weird weird problem that having in installation of parallel..

5. JacobZ

JacobZ Junior Member

Parallels Support here.

In regards to the original issue posted here about Parallels connecting to the CD/DVD drive:
    Our engineers are aware of the issue and are working on a solution. In the mean time, we have recently created a KB with a workaround for you to try - http://kb.parallels.com/en/114589

We recommend subscribing to this KB article to be alerted on any updated information on this issue.

Thanks for participating in our forum,
    Jacob

6. dgsamaral

dgsamaral Bit poster

I'm having the same problem, only reinstalling I install a new virtual machine from the CD, restart the system if I have to reinstall Parallels again if you need a new virtual machine.

7. djhiltz

djhiltz Bit poster

same issue

I am getting the same issue guys. tried everything under the sun. REALLY frustrating!

8. TomTaylor

TomTaylor Bit poster

Not at all helpful. What does it mean "put the CD/DVD drive in Mac folder?" How do you do that? As other posters have said, this doesn't inspire confidence.

9. YanaYana

YanaYana

I 've made the KB a little bit more usable, so guys please give it a try

10. grysql

grysql Bit poster

Thanks, Workaround #1 did the job for me in Mountain Lion>P7>Win7.
    I did not use the 'default CD/DVD', instead I just chose the listed iMac internal optical drive and all works as it should.
    Good answer, thank you.

11. YanaYana

YanaYana

great. thanks for sharing

12. SimoneRosai

SimoneRosai Bit poster

I bypassed this problem , creating .iso image of my S.O that i needed to install ( Windows 7 Ultimate ) and i booted the New Virtual Machine from .iso image and it works!
    But now i want to know why the Cd / Dvd give me 0801 error...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  13. PaulAT

PaulAT Bit poster

I was having exactly the same problem trying to install a new virtual machine running windows 7 from disc. After wasting an hour uninstalling/re-installing parallels and trying different configuration settings parallels still wouldn't see the CD/DVD drive. Interestingly, at some point in this process the original XP virtual machine I was running suddenly could see the CD/DVD drive.
    What finally got around the problem was using disc utility, as suggested, to create a 'new image' file on the Mac desk top and direct the new machine to boot from this file rather than the CD/DVD drive. Windows 7 now installed and running fine.

14. DTHill

DTHill Bit poster

My version of Win7 is Professional 64 bit.

I tried the 'Uninstall PD7' w/o doing the 'App' option. I didn't want to have to reinstall Win7, just PD7.
    Was that the correct action, or did I need to uninstall it all? I realize this is late in asking, but I've never gotten the CD/DVD to be recognized.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  15. Looran@Parallels

Looran@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Everyone,

Please follow the steps outlined below to connect your CD drive to the Virtual Machine:

1. Open your Virtual Machine's Configuration: http://kb.parallels.com/117287
    2. Click Hardware tab and click CD/DVD 1.
    3. In the "Connected to:" drop down menu choose Default CD/DVD or the name of the CD drive that appears.

You do not have to reinstall Parallels Desktop for Mac. Sometimes while creating a Virtual Machine if the CD drive is not recognized, then I could suggest to create a .iso image of the disc following http://kb.parallels.com/4917 and then use the image to create a Virtual Machine.