Parallels Is Slow Beyond Use

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by leaseme177, Jul 10, 2007.

1. leaseme177

leaseme177 Bit poster

I recently upgraded to Parallels Version 3.0 - I do NOT use anything complicated - I do not use bootcamp, etc. I have a macbook pro with 1GB - is this enough memory? I have reinstalled parallels and the operating system, per your knowledge article.

I really like the program - is there anything I can do in set up or allocations or anywhere to get this to work for me - I use it very modestly but can barely switch between OSs - please help and please write your response as if I am not a super parallel user - I get it but not perfectly. what are the best settings in memory, etc. - when i go between systems is does not work - if this continues, I would like a refund.

thx

2. David5000

David5000 Pro

One GB is the bare minimum for running OS X without Parallels. Try allocating 256 MB to XP (assuming that is what your guest OS is--you don't specify). If you can limp along with that, fine. Otherwise, downgrade to 2.5 (you did backup your 2.5 .hdd file, didn't you?) or double the amount of RAM you have and allocate 512 to 768 MB to XP. Both XP and OS X should run fine that way.

Also, when you say "your knowledge article," you are assuming that you are addressing Parallels directly. This is actually a user-to-user forum, though. Parallels answers some problems here, but probably won't comment on this one.

One other suggestion--try this thread: <http://forum.parallels.com/thread14245.html>

David

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  3. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Definitely go to 2GB of real memory.

Apple's add-on memory tends to be quite expensive. I found a good deal at macsales.com.
    The only gotcha is: did Apple install 1 1GB memory card (leaving a slot open)? Or did they install 2 512MB cards, (leaving no slots open)? You may end up buying 2 1GB cards.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

2 GB of real memory, min.