Parallels locks up after disconnecting/reconnection external monitor

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Ed-Hawco, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Ed-Hawco

Ed-Hawco Member

Using Parallels Desktop 13 on a Macbook Pro 13", under High Sierra.
    Experienced user: only change is host computer upgrade and docking station (previously used Macbook Air with direct Display Port > HDMI connection.)

So I have this new Macbook Pro and a Thunderbolt 3 docking station. The Macbook plugs into docking station with TB3. External monitor connects to docking station with Display Port.

If I disconnect the Macbook from the docking station, the stuff on the external display goes to the Macbook's monitor as a "space." This is normal. Parallels and Windows 10 continue to work on the Macbook's monitor. But when I plug the Macbook back into the docking station, everything re-appears back on the external display, and everything works like magic... EXCEPT Parallels.

Specifically: Windows 10 appears to still be running, but Parallels won't let me access it. It's like it's been sealed in acrylic. I can move the Parallels window around (I am NOT using full-screen mode), but I can't click anything in Windows. Also, I can access the Windows options, but only via the dock menu (everything in the macOS menu bar is greyed out for Windows 10).

I tried doing a Windows Reset (Options > Actions > Reset). That reset Windows but did not fix the problem. I also restarted Windows (Options > Actions > Restart). Same thing; although it let me type in my login name, once Windows started I was locked out of it.

The only thing that worked was shutting down Windows and exiting Parallels. I went through this process four times to confirm, and two of those times I had to FORCE QUIT Parallels, because the dock commands were not greyed out but not working (i.e., nothing happened when I selected QUIT from the dock menu). Also, the FORCE QUIT window did NOT report that Parallels was unresponsive.

Note that no applications were running in Windows (aside from the usual background stuff.)

Any ideas as to how I can regain control of Windows after disconnecting/reconnecting without having to do a full restart?