Parallels may perform ~50% faster if it triggers Turbo Boost

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by mdz, Jul 7, 2018.

1. mdz

mdz Bit poster

On modern Intel CPUs, there's a built-in technology Turbo Boost which turns the clock speed up while we're on some heavy work and returns to a low frequency when the work is done or the CPU is going to overheat due to bad cooling(or work on a higher clock speed for too long).

Before I go into more detail, I'm testing(using) an MBP 2017 with this CPU "3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz, with 8MB shared L3 cache"

When I'm using a Mac application, the turbo boost is always working. If I build a project in Android Studio, the CPU frequency goes up to 3.8GHz in my observation(don't know if it actually goes up to 4.1GHz, doesn't matter since it is at least boosted).

However, when I'm on PD Win VM, even if I build a big project in VS which consumes almost all CPU on the VM and consumes around 50-60% of CPU on the Mac(I allocate 4 logic cores to VM which is the recommended setting), Turbo boost is not triggered, CPU is running constantly at a frequency of 2.2-2.5 GHz, rarely goes to 3GHz.

I know this could be a difficult issue to solve as it involves a hardware technology(maybe Mac's CPU management as well) but if our VM can trigger Turbo Boost, our peak(period) performance can be boosted ~50%(the calculation is (3.8-2.5)/2.5).

Any idea on this?

MatthewR20, NickB18 and DaleE like this.