Parallels Remote Application Server crashes 30 seconds after launching

Discussion in 'Parallels Client for Windows' started by michaels155, Jan 4, 2022.

1. michaels155

michaels155 Bit poster

We have parallel client 18.0.1 installed on a few pcs and they are all working fine. Two new pcs got it installed and the users after launching the application can't configure the connection proprieties because as soon as they get to the screen about 30 seconds after launching the screen just disappears. Not sure if it crashes it is just gone. Not sure how to resolve this.

2. jpc

jpc Pro

It sounds like a timed task on the client is causing issues. Does it still happen if the latest 18.3 client is used?

3. michaels155

michaels155 Bit poster

What do you mean by timed task? Is there a way to modify it before it closes? Also I was not aware there is a newer version we just got this installed back in October. To get anything installed here we have to go through an a process that takes weeks. I can try to do that and see if it works on the two users.

4. michaels155

michaels155 Bit poster

We tried 18.3 and it still crashes. That did not solve the issue. Thanks for the suggestion.

5. jpc

jpc Pro

I believe that the client has a printing caching functionality that runs on a schedule when the client is open. There used to be issues with some printer drivers causing crashes. You could try to disable this functionality and see if connection configuration works. If it does, launching of applications might still trigger the issue, so at that point your best solution would be to contact support so that they can instruct you on how to collect the necessary data to investigate the issue.

(fyi: To change the setting manually: open the client but do not configure anything, head to "tools > options > advanced", scroll down and disable "cache printers ..." / "refresh printers ..." options then close and reopen the client. If the registry is an easier way, when I changed these settings, the values of "PrintRefreshCache" and "PrintUseCache" in "hkcu\software\parallels\appserverclient" were changed from "1" to "0".)

6. michaels155

michaels155 Bit poster

Thanks for the tip we did try it. The application stayed up maybe 2 seconds longer then crashed. We are having a hard time finding the registry to validate the change took place. We will keep trying things thank you.

7. jpc

jpc Pro

I have the 64-bit client installed. If it is the 32-bt client, it will be under software\wow6432. If it is the portable or self-extracting client, the settings will be in an xml file near the client installation itself. I'm not aware of any other scheduled task for a freshly installed client. However, if you have any crash dumps (e.g. in the users' AppData\Roaming\2XDumps), it might be helpful to grab those if you end up contacting support.

8. michaels155

michaels155 Bit poster

I found crash dumps but I need admin rights to access it. I will continue to look for the registry.

9. michaels155

michaels155 Bit poster

We found the new version worked on the one user. They had two versions installed so once we uninstalled the older version it worked. We are trying with the other user now.

jpc likes this.