Parallels Service & 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Daleski75, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Daleski75

Daleski75 Junior Member

I know its a bit early but wanted to get a thread up and running to see if any bright chap out there can get Parallels working properly on Apple's new O/S.

Suggestions please :D

2. WLifsey

WLifsey Bit poster

No luck on my MBA....tried doing an install from scratch as well just in case the drivers needed to be re-linked

3. Dave K

Dave K Bit poster

Same thing here. Was on 6 uninstalled and went 7 still no go. It's the EFI/SMC firmware that's the issue. Parallels will have to play a little catch up. Hoping it's VERY soon. :)

4. Daleski75

Daleski75 Junior Member

There was a hack I believe to get parallels running on a beta of lion just trying to dig that out and see if it works.

5. Dave K

Dave K Bit poster

Definitely worth a try but in theory that won't work since the install of 10.8 we changed the firmware we are running, the install will be looking for a specific firmware which we don't have and aren't able (that I know of) to downgrade to.

6. Daleski75

Daleski75 Junior Member

the second you try and load the appropriate kexts it crashes 10.8

7. Dave K

Dave K Bit poster

Wow! Good to know.

8. ahintz

ahintz Junior Member

Glad I found this thread. I guess I'll hold off installing Mountain Lion for the time being.

9. ericsr2

ericsr2 Bit poster

Would love a release to support Mountain Lion

I know it just came out but I could really use a working release. Please help us out Parallels!

Thanks

10. Daleski75

Daleski75 Junior Member

Gone back to Lion and now running albeit very slowly 10.8 in a parallels VM until we can find a workaround and/or parallels release a quick fix hint hint parallels lol

11. 87racer

87racer Member

Doing a little more digging it appears that the parallels kext that crashes (prl.hypervisor.kext) 10.8 is looking for something in two apple kexts (IOACPIFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext) that have changed. In order to pull those kexts back from Lion I had to move a framework that also changed (IOKit.framework.) After doing this a whole new set of problems arise with broken AirPort drivers and loads of other stuff.

Edit: Ok just did some more testing and it has to do with the 64-bit side of the prl.hypervisor.kext. reboot holding 3 and 2 down to boot into 32-bit mode and run my parallels launcher that we had to use for parallels 6 and lion previews.

Network module is not working but virtual machines boot and are useable other than that.

UPDATE: Networking is now working. Check the same link below.

Parallels Desktop 7 on Mountain Lion (10.8)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  12. bearintraining

bearintraining Bit poster

Agreed. Please fix!

Parallels 6 doesn't even load on my MacBookPro 6,2.

13. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

Did this work for you? I thought Mountain Lion was 64-bit kernel only? When I try this it just boots into a 64-bit kernel anyway.

14. SylvainP

SylvainP Junior Member

no luck

I thought I could boot into 32 bit mode, appears not.

I have a MBA 2011 Core i7, which came with Lion. I guess it's 64 bit all the way.

S.

15. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

Actually you can still get to a 32-bit kernel. I couldn't get it to work using the 3 and 2 keys held down, but if you put the arch=i386 flag into boot.plist it will boot to a 32-bit kernel. I assume this will be disabled in future builds as the developer documentation states its 64-bit kernel only.

Makes no difference sadly to Parallels working :(

16. SylvainP

SylvainP Junior Member

Parallels Desktop for Mac 7 on Mountain Lion Dev Preview 1

I'm giving up on Parallels for now, it wasn't realistic to have any expectations about virtualizing on Mountain Lion. It just came out, what, 2 days ago?

Having said that, I am pleased with my Mountain Lion experience so far. None of my other software broke under this Dev Preview 1, except for Parallels ironically. Even Dropbox is working fine, although its integration within Finder is less obvious, since the little dynamic icons no longer appear (but it syncs just fine!).

I don't develop much, but I test a lot, and I would love to have a Parallels Desktop fix to virtualize my Windows guest OS. I think that one of the gentlemen who posted above found about 2 or 3 extensions or parameters that may impact on Parallels working or not. Seems simple enough to fix. Mountain Lion isn't even all that different from Lion, it's certainly not a 'major' upgrade like Leopard was to Tiger, and to a certain extent, Lion was to Snow Leopard.

Please work your magic at your convenience, Parallels dev.

Go Parallels team ;-)

17. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

I've managed to get my VMs booting now in Parallels, but as an earlier post said the USB and networking doesn't work. Basically you need to boot into a 32-bit kernel by adding arch=i386 into your boot.plist and then use the old workaround for when Lion first came out.:-

sudo kextutil "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_hypervisor.kext"
    sudo kextutil "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_hid_hook.kext"
    sudo kextutil "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_usb_connect.kext"
    sudo kextutil "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_netbridge.kext"
    sudo kextutil "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_vnic.kext"

18. kemo

kemo Bit poster

Thanks at least for some info, Im looking forward to see fully Working P6 or 7 on ML.

19. PascalRod

PascalRod Bit poster

Thank you for the precious tips ! You made me able to boot Parallels 7 under Mountain Lion, this worked for me:
    1) I used this command in the terminal to start in 32 bits
    sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386
    ( to default start in 64 bits again...
    sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64 )
    2) The file "Parallels Service" has again to be put into the folder /library/parallels
    (Image 1)
    this because Mountain Lion places it into a new root folder "Incompatible Software" when booting in 64 bits
    3) I'm now booting Parallels 7 with the Program "FileServe Parallels Desktop Launcher.zip" mentioned here by 87racer
    http://bs87.com/post/17757954386/parallels-desktop-7-on-mountain-lion-10-8

I'm also hoping for a quick fix by the Parallels team, thanks in advance
    Have a nice w-e everyone

Attached Files:

20. GeoffreyZ

GeoffreyZ Member

Thanks PascalRod for the tips, but when I tried to run Windows 7 x64 in the Boot Camp partition Parallels Tools refused to install and upon restarting the virtual machine I got a BSOD.

Without network or USB functionality this solution is also incomplete. I'm sure the Parallels engineers are working on a solution and will post it soon!