Parallels Tool (re)installation fails on Windows Seven as guest

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Mickey, Dec 11, 2022.

1. Mickey

Mickey Member

Hi,

I installed the 18.0.3 update.

I then started my Windows Seven virtual machine, and when the Parallels Tools installer ran, I received an error saying that "Windows can't verify the publisher of this driver software", at about 55% of the Parallels Tools installation.
    [​IMG]

I took back a backup of my Windows Seven virtual image (backup dated August 2022), put back a 18.0.2 version of Parallels Desktop for Mac and started the Windows, but during the Parallels Tools installation, the same "publisher verify error" occurred - although when I previously updated to Parallels 18.0.2 in September 2002 I had no such issue -, so now I have no parallels tools on my Windows Seven virtual machine :-(

What can I do ?

I am on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), MacOS Mojave 10.14.6.

2. Mickey

Mickey Member

OK, I did not see a 18.1.0 version was out. I installed it, and the Parallels Tools installed correctly this time !

Sorry, my mistake.

3. BogdanC

BogdanC Junior Member

Hi,
    Have you been able to install the Parallels tools? I had the same problem as you (running windows 7 guest), then I installed parallels 18.2.0, but the installation of parallel tools crashes.
    Thanks

4. BogdanC

BogdanC Junior Member

ok, on a subsequent try it was successful.

5. Mickey

Mickey Member

Hi,
    everything went fine with the installation of the 18.1.0 version (now at 18.1.1). I did not install 18.2.0.
    There is a KB article: https://kb.parallels.com/en/129252 The thing I am no sure when reading it is how to interpret the sentence "Parallels Desktop 18.1.0, Parallels Desktop App Store Edition 1.8.0 and Parallels Desktop 17.1.5 include the final version of Parallels Tools for legacy (Windows 8.1 and earlier) Windows OS versions".
    Does that mean that the Parallels versions like 18.2.0 and above will not include the Tools for the legacy version (that will be a bummer, because for instance I run other version of Windows as well) or that these tools will not evolve anymore (that one, I am fine with) ?

6. Mickey

Mickey Member

OK, I took too long to answer, cool it is now fine (and thank you for confirming the latter understanding of my question) !

(and, BTW, I forgot to read the following sentence from the KB article, which confirm that it is OK to update Parallels:
    Will your Windows machine stop working in newer Parallels Desktop versions?
    No, your virtual machine will work, but the version of Parallels Tools won't be updated.)