Parallels Tools 3.0 makes Win95 unbootable

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DougS, May 24, 2008.

1. DougS

DougS Junior Member

I know this is a known problem as I have seen it mentioned on this forum but haven't seen any fixes, nothing in the knowledge base, and I have searched believ me. Once you manually install parallels tools in Win95 it forces you to reboot. Upon doing this Windows never boots again, just a frozen black screen after "Starting Windows 95" prompt at boot. Well, let me rephrase that, you can boot (SLOWLY) into safe mode, but thats it.

I sort of worked around this by creating a new machine, reinstalling Win95 and then manually installing the video driver for Win95, without acually installing the parallels tools wizard. This worked, got the SVGA reolutions and Win was booting fine. But the Sound card is still crapping out. Cracks and Pops and its stutters to the point that it actually freezes some applications. I wanted to install a parallels sound driver direct from the VMtools CD but there is only one for OS2, nothing for Win95. How do I install the sound driver for Win95 from the VMtools iso? If not, how do you i install Parallels tools without it ruining win95 bootup??

Thanks

2. DougS

DougS Junior Member

After manually doing the video driver, I ran a CUSTOM install of parallels tools excluding the video driver hoping it would install the sound driver or at least provided it. Windows still booted after ths, but no sound driver. Finally I bit the bullet and ran a full install of parallels tools and to my astonishment it didn't ruin win95 bootbup. i don't know why this order of operations allowed it to run a complete install without compromising win boot.

The problem however, is that there is still no sound driver to install. I checked my audio device and it's still set to Soundblaster 16 with the win driver i installed originally. By the way, I "added" this soundblaster manually. i don't know if it should be something else? Can someone please outline how the sound should be setup for Win95 in parallels 3.0?

Thank you.