Parallels Tools 4.0 install fails: Cannot install Shared Folders Driver

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ddolezal, Nov 24, 2008.

1. ddolezal

ddolezal Bit poster

Hello,

after solving most of the Problems which occured during an Update of my Parallels 3.0 to 4.0, I am stuck with the parallels Tools installation. Most of the Drivers are installed properly, but at the end of the installation process, I get an
    Failed to install Parallels Shared Folders driver.
    If I OK this, I get an "Failed to uninstall Parallels Shared Folders driver" - followed by a "Rolling back installation" and a restart of the system

I am quite desperate and I am getting a little bit angry that parallels obvously ships software that is not even beta but behaves like an late alpha version of a software.

But perhaps somebody has encountered similar problems an can drop me a hint....

Best regards an thanks in advance for your help,

Dieter

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Please send me your mail address via private message and I will send you a possible fix.

3. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2008
  4. ddolezal

ddolezal Bit poster

Hello, DaTa,

I am already using build 3540 - so the issue has not been resolved.

Regards,

Dieter

5. Anna Pichueva

Anna Pichueva Parallels Team

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Anna, I have not posted here the result, but the issue was successfully resolved.

7. Anna Pichueva

Anna Pichueva Parallels Team

Ok. How was it resolved? just for satisfying curiosuty.

8. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

It's a rare Windows XP problem. I will sent a private message within fifteen minutes

9. drexel13

drexel13 Bit poster

Could you just post the resolution? It doesn't seem like that rare of a problem. I was dealing with this as well after uninstalling PT to try reinstalling PT to fix a problem. I had to rollback my system just to get back up and running.

10. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Most likely you have some other issue since you have at least one time successfully installed Tools.

Anyway, please create a ticket or post me your mail via private message.

11. drexel13

drexel13 Bit poster

Well, I have it working again by rolling back and found a work-around for the original issue I was trying to fix. So I'm gonna not fix what's not broken, or is at least working well enough.

Thanks for the offer to help though. I still think posting potential solutions would be nice. Isn't that t he point of a forum?

12. STim

STim Bit poster

drexel13,

The potential solution is not polished yet and requires a supervision by Parallels team member, this is why we prefer to perform it via email.

Anyway, I think tomorrow we will be able to publish the solution as KB article and announce it on the forum.

13. drexel13

drexel13 Bit poster

That's good news!

14. jknight

jknight Bit poster

Where will it be published?

I am having the same problem and would very much appreciate more information as to where I can find the fix when it is published if it has not already.

Thank you.

15. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

jknight,
    at least for today the same story:
    "please create a ticket or post me your mail via private message."

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  16. apa

apa Bit poster

I have experienced the same problem.
    After de-installing parallels tools as suggested in case of mouse driver issues, the de-installation process already complained about access to shared folders.
    Now everytime I boot Windows XP in parallesl, it complains that it can't access the shared folders. And indeed - the home folder and the Mac drive are not available as network drives anymore.
    Worse than that - reinstalling parallels tools doesn't work as described in the thread above.

I'm really starting to get pretty much pissed, because I wouldn't have de-installed parallels tools if it wouldn't habe been suggested.

Can you help?

Best Regards

André

17. bluemelk

bluemelk Bit poster

I have the same problem! Please help!

18. bi11

bi11 Hunter

I do not know if this hack still works, but what I did to one vm to get the tools to install *partially* was to wait for the error, not press any keys, wait a minute or so, so that windows xp could flush it's file buffers, and then power off the machine. Not shutdown, but poweroff. Then when I rebooted, I had partial tool support, like mouse integration, network and video support. Don't try and reinstall the tools.

19. alexr

alexr Bit poster

Same problem here

I am completely down because the Parallels Tools 4.0 refusing to install because of this issue. No network, no shared folders, mouse issues. Please help!

20. alexr

alexr Bit poster

I have recently install Mac software from Paragon Software for read/write access NTFS partitions from Mac. Would this make a difference for the Shared Folders?