Parallels Tools in RHEL causes desktop issues.

Discussion in 'Linux Guest OS Discussion' started by BobR2, Nov 26, 2018.

1. BobR2

BobR2 Bit Poster

After installing Parallels tools in RHEL 7.6, I'm having issues with GDM. Applications appear in front of the desktop, but behind the icons. When I first log in, I have a blank screen with a mouse pointer for a few seconds then the icons appear, the screen goes blank and then I see the desktop rise up as usual. Abrt-Cli is reporting gnome-shell failed. I am also unable to drag applications around by their title bars, however, I can still drag them around by the blank space in the menu bar. Seems like coherence might have something to do with it. I have included a screen shot of the issue I am seeing as well as the basic abrt-cli output.
    Also note the only way to make an inactive application active is to use Alt+Tab. I do not know if Fedora or CentOS are affected by this or not. Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 4.27.04 PM.png

It is also worth noting that I have isolate linux from Mac enabled.

2. UmaN

UmaN Bit Poster

I am facing similar issues. This is really hampering the reputation of Parallels

3. SteveL1

SteveL1 Bit Poster

This happens in CentOS too.

4. ArmandoG

ArmandoG Bit Poster

The same form me, with CentOS 7.6.
    After installation (not "express") it's all OK, but imediately after Parallels Tool installation, the problem happen.
    I'm using Parallels Desktop 14 for Mac - Pro Edition.
    Very bad situation.

5. RichardM16

RichardM16 Bit Poster

Yes, this started with CentOS 7.6 (1810 - 3.10.0-957). Reinstall Parallels tools does not improve the situation. I also opened a ticket in the CentOS bug tracker fro the gnome shell.

6. projector

projector Bit Poster

Virtualization within the Intel line of chips used to sound straight-forward and light-weight; allocate and protect memory and disk space, scheduling, etc. But you get the sense that now it is a mass of special case handling that breaks with every guest-os update, lots of dependencies.

RichardM16 likes this.