"Parallels Tools require that your Windows is running under virtual machine"

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jennyw, Nov 21, 2007.

1. jennyw

jennyw Bit poster

I just upgraded to 3.0 and now strange things are happening. I also upgraded to Leopard, so it's possible this may be related to the new OS, too.

Anyway, one symptom I'm having is the error message in the subject: "Parallels Tools require that your Windows is running under virtual machine". I also get some new hardware discovered messages when I boot into the VM, and also noticed that the screen doesn't completely fill up when I'm in full screen mode (but will if I change resolution in the Display control panel).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please do the following:
    1. Start the Virtual Machine.
    2. Go to the Actions menu on the Parallels Desktop menubar - select "Install Parallels Tools".
    3. Follow Installation Wizard instructions.

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. jennyw

jennyw Bit poster

I tried that

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I get the error message when I try to install Parallel Tools. I also get the message if I try to uninstall Parallel Tools (on there from before upgrading to 3). And I get a similar message if I try to run Compressor.

4. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please check if in Windows "Start" - "Control Panel" - "Add or Remove Programs" Parallels Tools is listed. If so, please uninstall it.
    If no, please try to do the following:
    1. Boot Windows in Safe Mode by hitting F8 (Fn+F8) during its boot screen.
    Go to "My Computer" - "C" Drive - "Program Files" - "Parallels" folder and delete the "Parallels Tools " folder.
    2. Click the Windows "Start" menu -> "Run" and type "regedit". Hit OK.
    3. In Registry Editor, go to "My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Parallels" and delete the "Parallels Tools " entry.
    4. Reboot Windows.
    5. Try to install Parallels Tools.

Best regards,
    Stacey

5. Cosby

Cosby Junior Member

I've the same problem. I've try to do that Stacey said but i've the same problem.please help us

6. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please try to do the following:
    1. Open your Virtual Machine folder in Mac OS (Macintosh HD -> Documents -> Parallels -> <VM Name> by default) and delete the "Shared Windows Applications" folder.
    2. Try to install Parallels Tools . If the problem persists, proceed to the steps below.
    3. In Windows guest OS , open Start menu, click "Run" and type "cmd" (without quotation marks). Hit OK.
    4. In the command prompt, type the following command:
    del /q /f "%ProgramFiles%\InstallShield Installation Information\{B730E908-1FD5-4170-A0FE-B6AB874344F0}\setup.ilg"
    5. Hit Enter. Close the command promt.
    6. Restart Windows guest OS . Try to install Parallels Tools again

Best regards,
    Stacey

7. Cosby

Cosby Junior Member

ok man. in the afternoon i'll try it and after that i'll post it the response.Thank

8. jasonlathrop

jasonlathrop Bit poster

Hi Stacey,

I'm having all the same problems --Leopard, 3.0 -- but I don't understand your instructions:

At the Macintosh HD level there is no documents folder. In my user accounts I have a documents directory, but it doesn't have a Parallels folder in it.

Do you mean the library? Application support?

Refer:

1. Open your Virtual Machine folder in Mac OS (Macintosh HD -> Documents -> Parallels -> <VM Name> by default) and delete the "Shared Windows Applications" folder.

9. jasonlathrop

jasonlathrop Bit poster

I found the article below in the Knowledge Base, which supposedly fixes this problem.

Unfortunately, these instructions don't work. Going to Actions --> Install Parallels Tools has not effect other than to change the menu item to "Cancel Parallels Tools Installation."

No wizard in the guest OS, no install.

Bummer. Anyone got any experience with Fusion VMWare and Leopard?

Problem Description:
    Error message when trying to uninstall Parallels Tools in the Windows Guest OS after upgrading to Parallels Desktop 3.0
    Symptoms:
    "Parallels Tools require that your Windows is running under Virtual Machine. The installation will be stopped." error message.
    Cause:
    Parallels Tools were not uninstalled before the upgrade
    Solution:
    Start the Virtual Machine.
    Go to the Actions menu on the Parallels Desktop menubar - select "Install Parallels Tools"
    Follow Installation Wizard instructions. The old version of Parallels Tools will be automatically updated.
    Restart your Windows Guest OS . Now you should be able to uninstall Parallels Tools after updating it to the most recent version.

10. jasonlathrop

jasonlathrop Bit poster

Hmm. If anyone is still having trouble with this, try Start -- > Computer --> D: Parallels Tools (a virtual drive the guest OS thinks is an optical disk).

That one launched the wizard to upgrade the Tools installation to match 3.0

11. Cosby

Cosby Junior Member

Hi Stacey, i've tryed to do your operation but, without good results. The only one result is that now windows don't work also with parallels. :D

I 've followed your istructions step by step. When you write "delete shared windows application" in document folder, i've found only the folder "windows application" is it the same??I've deleted this.

12. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

Cosby,
    please specify how exactly your windows does not work?

Best regards,
    Stacey

13. Cosby

Cosby Junior Member

when i lunch windows with bootcamp it load everything but when show desktop it restart.

14. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Cosby,
    please try to do the following:
    1. Open your Boot Camp virtual machine.
    2. Open Configuration Editor
    3. In the Resource list, click Hard Disk.
    4. In the hard disk settings pane, click the Advanced tab.
    5. In the Cleanup Boot Camp Partition area, click the Clear button.

Then try to start your Boot Camp.
    If you still have this problem, please try to repair your Windows Installation.

Best regards,
    Stacey