Parallels Tools with openSUSE Transactional Updates

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Evan123, May 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Evan123

Evan123 Bit poster

Hi -- has anyone had success with installing Parallels Tools on an openSUSE system with transactional updates enabled -- either Leap/Tumbleweed with the Transactional Server role, or MicroOS? What did you have to do to get the install to complete successfully within a transactional-update shell?
    I have opened a support ticket for this if anyone else would like to reference: 2970439
    Thank you,
    Evan

2. Evan123

Evan123 Bit poster

I was able to get to work with openSUSE Leap, but not Tumbleweed or MicroOS. The missing link for installation on openSUSE Leap is that the installer fails when X Windows is not installed. Below is the process i used:

Install:
    - boot openSUSE Leap 15.2 installer
    - System Role: select Transactional Server
    - fill in remaining screens as desired until you get to Installation Settings summary page
    - click Software, add GNOME Desktop Environment (Basic)
    - proceed with OS installation
    - reboot
    After reboot 1:
    - upgrade to current packages for openSUSE Leap 15.2: sudo transactional-update up
    - reboot
    After reboot 2:
    - kernel version is: 5.3.18
    - start transactional-update shell: sudo transactional-update shell
    - mount parallels tools: mkdir /mnt/cdrom; mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom
    - run Parallels Tools installation in text mode: cd /mnt/cdrom; ./install
    - when install completes, choose Exit (not Reboot)
    - stop Parallels Tools (otherwise transactional-update shell complains at exit that files on the transactional-update snapshot are locked): pkill prltoolsd
    - exit transactional-update shell: exit
    - a number of errors will be generated relating to files that were changed in the snapshot that will not be carried over after reboot, but this does not seem to affect how Parallels Tools works
    - reboot
    After reboot 3:
    - check that Parallels Tools is running: prltoolsd is running, copy and paste works, shared folders are mounted

The installer still fails on Tumbleweed with Transactional Server role, and MicroOS, and I have not worked out why yet.