Parallels 'unable to detect operating system' Windows 10 ISO files

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PortiaH1, Oct 25, 2016.

1. PortiaH1

PortiaH1 Bit poster

I looked all over the forum and still couldn't solve this problem. I just downloaded a trial version of Parallels on my MacBook. I then purchased Windows 10 Home Edition and downloaded it. I was only able to download the ISO version for non-Windows OS (Win10_1607_English_x64.iso). I chose the 64-Bit. When I drag the file into Parallels I get the following message: UNABLE TO DETECT OPERATING SYSTEM. I have tried several of the solutions posted on other threads but nothing works. I'm completely at a loss as to what to do next. Is the ISO file in the wrong format? What am I doing wrong? :(

Attached Files:

2. Hi, .iso is the correct format, but looks like that the installation file has been corrupted. Did you try to redownload it?

3. PortiaH1

PortiaH1 Bit poster

I'm trying to now. The problem is that each download takes about an hour. This time I tried Windows 10 N in 32 BIT. To be honest I haven't really understood the difference between 32 and 64 or N and non-N. I just need to have Windows on my Mac to be able to use some websites and an online banking application, nothing really heavy.

4. Hello PortiaH1,
    If you have Windows 10 Home or Pro, you may simply download a .iso image file from https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download and use it to install Windows.
    If your Windows 10 is Student/Academic Edition, then downloading a .iso image file from https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/vlacademic and making use of the same should result in successful Windows installation.

5. ChadR1

ChadR1 Bit poster

I am having the same issue as PortiaH1. I have tried re-downloading the .iso file several times directly from Microsoft and continue to receive the same "Unable to detect operating software" message.
    Please advise.

6. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Hello Chad, please follow the below steps and let us know how it goes:
    1. Install Windows Home/Pro edition without an activation key and by using Express Installation unchecked.
    2. After the Windows 10 Home/Professional installation is complete, go to Settings --> Update and security --> Activation, and click: Change product key.
    3. Enter the product key and update it.

7. MichaelP22

MichaelP22 Bit poster

I have been attempting to install Windows 10 and have had same issue as above - have attempted all suggestions/steps in this and other threads and still no resolve - please advise how to install. I have purchased both Parallels and Windows and still my key is not recognised - wasting time and getting very frustrated.

8. Hi, did you get any error messages during the installation? If yes, could you please provide us with the screenshot of it?

9. MichalM5

MichalM5 Bit poster

I have same problem. I downloaded Win10_1803_EnglishInternational_x32.iso and Win10_1803_EnglishInternational_x64.iso from https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download. I have Parallels Desktop 10.4.0 In Paralles File > New. I choose Image File and drop the iso image. I get message "parallels unable to detect operating system" I click "Continue" and From menu select Windows 10. Leave default option of "I will primarily use Windows for" Productivity. (did try other options - same result). Leave defaults on next screen. Click continue. I see message "Virtual machine creatin" and than WINDOW STOPING. Than I see message about Critical error. Can send you error report (tar gz of report directory), but I am not able to upload it here. Report ID is: 254714293

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  10. shandr

shandr Parallels Developers

Hi MichalM5, the problem with a critical error on booting of Windows 10 VM was fixed in Parallels Desktop 11.
    The workaround for Parallels Desktop 10 is to set Hardware->Boot Order->Boot flags in the configuration to kernel.hyperv=0

MichalM5 likes this.
  11. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello MichalM5, Windows 10 is not compatible with Parallels Desktop 10.4 ( refer this link for assistance )

12. MichalM5

MichalM5 Bit poster

Thanks, worked nice.

13. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Good to know. Please reach out again when in need of further assistance.