Parallels Updates?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by brodel, Jun 19, 2006.

1. brodel

brodel Bit poster

I am sure this info has to be somewhere on the site or on the forum, but I haven't been able to find it so I figured I'd make a post. I also tried e-mailing support, but got no response (which honestly kind of scares me) :confused:

I got parallels RC2 the day before it went 1.0 (for OS X) so far I think it's awesome. I want to buy it, but I want to know how long I get updates (if at all) after I buy the program. Depending on the answer I plan on buying today! Thanks in advance!

2. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

Considering you paid ~$1500 for your mac, ~$100-$200 for windoze, and will have to pay only $39 for Parallels - why are you waiting? For a point of reference the Linux version used the same license for 1.x thru 2.1 so far. It will probably be dictated by how much effort and features they have to put into the mac version releases. Judging from the demands being posted by mac users, version 1.1 will probably need an upgrade fee. ;>)

3. brodel

brodel Bit poster

It's annoying to buy software and then they come out with a new version and leave their customers with an upgrade fee or stuck just buying the new version. If that's how it is then I'll just wait till a version comes out with features I have to have (ACPI bios to run Vista) before putting money into this one and then even more money into a new one. However if there were free upgrades within a year or so after buying the product, then I'd be fine with that.

I guess the bottom line is that I just need an official answer from someone at Parallels...

4. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

The parallels team has said numerous times in the Mac forums that updates to 2.x will be free, but the 3.x release will be a paid upgrade. They have also confirmed that ACPI will be in v3.0.

So if you need XP, then buy now. You'll continue to get bug fixes for free until v 3.0 comes out.

If you are waiting for Vista support and have no need to run XP. Wait for v 3.0. They said it would likely be near the end of this year. (So, 6 months away, maybe?)

Again, this is all second-hand, so don't quote me on it. Things can change. Now that Q emulator has ACPI (and Vista) the Parallels team may reconsider a BIOS re-write for v2.3? Who knows. Without any true virtualization though, Q is hardly stealing away Parallels customers.

=)

5. brodel

brodel Bit poster

Awesome. Sorry I didn't see any of that before. I personally don't care about Vista, but I did download the beta and tried it in parallels and just noticed it didn't work. I am more interested in just running XP right now and maybe throw a linux distro on there to play around with from time to time. Thanks!

6. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

I can confirm that John the Geek is correct about our update policy.

2.x updates will be free, 3.0 version most likely will be paid.

7. jensw

jensw Member

Hello,

is there already a date for the next windows/linux update?

Thanks and best regards,
    Jens

8. Andrew @ Parallels

jensw,

Sorry - I can't give exact date, but it will be quite soon.

9. dmtdbear

dmtdbear Bit poster

Upgrade pricing

Andrew

Will there be any upgrade pricing for 3.0 for Parallels Mac Desktop and Parallels Workstation for Windows/Linux? and what would the prices be for existing Parallels users?

Gerald

10. Andrew @ Parallels

dmtdbear,

Unfortunately I don't know the answer. I guess 2.x customers will have discount for 3.0 update, but it is only my guess. The pricing policy is under concideration and will be announced once we have public build for 3.0. Or maybe earlier.

11. Ray

Ray Member

Andrew,

It's now some 6 weeks since your post, what's the current situation on the Windows/Linux version which gives some of the much needed features which are 'slated for the next update'.

Ray

12. constant

constant Forum Maven

It's due to be released around the end of the month.

13. Maccer

Maccer Junior Member

You don't happen to have any new info on the upgrade pricing? Apple Store in Sweden has a discount on Parallels Desktop that's only valid today, but since Parallels Desktop 3 will probably be released in a couple of months I don't want to pay the full price twice.

EDIT: I saw that you would release a free update with lots of new features a few hours after I had first made this post, so I went ahead and ordered a Parallels Desktop from Apple Store.

But just after I had ordered, I checked my mail and saw the "Parallels holiday special" with free upgrades for one year. That would be a even better deal, but I don't know if I can cancel my Apple Store order anymore (can't cancel via Internet - and the phone service won't be open until monday).

So my next question is: is this "one year of free upgrades" deal only valid for products ordered via the Parallels webshop, or can I apply it somehow to my boxed version ordered from Applestore in case I can't cancel the order?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  14. shaun3000

shaun3000 Junior Member

I'm wondering the same thing. I emailed info@parallels.com but haven't recieved a response, yet. I purchased the full license on Monday, with one day left on the trial. I came back today for the new Beta and saw the Holiday offer. I'm going to be mad if I'm excluded when I missed it by less than a week!

15. Maccer

Maccer Junior Member

Today I got an mail from Apple Store that said that my Parallel Desktop order has now shipped - so it's definitely too late to cancel it. Hopefully Parallels will be kind enough to let us who bought the app from some other source than their webshop to participate in the "one year of free upgrades" offer as well.

By the way, I also mailed info@parallels.com before I posted on the forums.

16. ronaldbegg

ronaldbegg Member

Hi, just a brief comment. I also installed Vista under Parallels, works just fine, in fact I am using it right now. I gather it implodes June 2007! Vista looks much better under Boot Camp and XP works more fully under BC, eg recognises iSight camera for Skype, but the convenience of not having to re-boot is such a winner. So I have XP, Vista and Linux loaded up....fantastic

17. shaun3000

shaun3000 Junior Member

It's been nearly two weeks and I've yet to recieve a reply from Parallels. Their customer service is making a pretty crappy impression on me, so far.

18. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

'Crappy' is in the eye of the beholder. Parallels is not Apple, and you would be much more comfortable if you would approach your interactions with them based on that reality. They don't have a huge staff of people supported by the profits from an overly expensive computer to answer ever person's instantaneous needs. Their product costs very little and they have a stated policy of free upgrades.

From my own perspective, the product's usefullness far exceeds it's initial cost and upgrade costs. Perhaps you should wait until VMware releases their product and see what they will charge you for it. You may find that your sensitivities to your current situation don't seem all that bad.

19. COBeav

COBeav Bit poster

Hmmm.......You think two weeks equals instantaneous? It's been my experience that the successful smaller companies usually have superior support vs. larger companies. The successful small companies realize that they must provide excellent support to beat the big guys. You're right, if people don't want to put up with the current situation then they'll have to wait for VMWare. I know many of us that have Parallels are waiting for VMWare in order to have a choice which usually benefits the user.

20. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

Well, I didn't need a marketplace place analysis. I bet you're used to calling in and getting instant help with your Mac. Don't think you're taking into account the price you pay for that. There are lots of software companies that focus their attention on the development of their product and hope that a superior product will carry them thru the marketplace with forum help. If you need instant support, you can pay a lot and get VMware to provide it. They also rely on their forums for the majority of their support, and really only support large commercial accounts for problems and upgrade determination. Perhaps you should visit their site to better understand.