Parallels USB Problem

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Mara, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Mara

Mara Bit poster

I have a problem with my new MBP using winXP with Parallels. I am using this combination since nearly one year on my macbook without having severe problems. Now I switched to a MBP and transferred my installation with the help of the migration assistant in Mac OSX. It runs quite well, all my data including the Parallels datas are on my new maschine. I had to reinstall Parallels because the virtual partition was not found, after doing it all applications in winXP could be used without having to set up the XP installation again.
    Now my problem: all USB devices cannot connect to the virtual maschine:

" USB Device you are trying to connect to the virtual maschine in being used by another application. Close that app. or unplug the device aand plug it again. Then try to connect the device again."

USB problems because of using winXP on another maschine???

I need winXP for my office (banking, personal managment)

Is there anyone who can help?

(I hope you can understand me, my english lessons at school are long ago)

2. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Hello Mara
    Please provide more information about your system, what USB devices are you using?

3. Mara

Mara Bit poster

Well, I am using an Epson printer aculaser c1100 and a USB pinpad (cyberjack, reiner sct) for my HBCI banking software.
    When I plug the devices to my MBP the failure is coming up, no matter if I turn the automatic Usb device installiion on or off.

4. hilmartor

hilmartor Member

Ankou,

Can you answer this as well:

Hi
    I have been using Parallels for some time but I have some bugs that I cannot fix, I cannot hook up some USB devices. When I try to connect my Epson R1800 printer, the ISIGHT camera, my Dymo label 400 turbo printer and some other USB devices Parallels simply hangs. It starts by the screen freezes and I cannot do nothing (Parallels window), I can still use Parallels but I cannot use the XP side since the screen is simply frozen. This happens when I try to hook up USB devices that I need. In a few minutes the fan goes full speed and I have to force close Parallels.

I installed VMWARE this weekend and it works better. it locates the USB devices and I can actually set the up and use them. But I feel that Parallels is faster and I like the program some what better.

Is there anyone who can help me. I have bought both the older Parallels (a long time costumer) and upgraded to the new V 3.0.

Please advice so I can go back to Parallels.

-Hilmar

5. Ankou

Ankou Guest

6. hilmartor

hilmartor Member

I am running Mac Os 10.4.9 and Parallels 3.0 (4128)

I cannot use the thread since Parallels hangs before I can install the USB drivers. It happens as soon as I try to connect to the USB devices.

7. Mara

Mara Bit poster

I am running 3188, but I tried the new 3.0 trial version today; it' s all the same whatever I do. I have the new MBP Santa Rosa, is there a USB problem known? My old MB CD 2.0 was running fine without a single problem.

8. Mara

Mara Bit poster

I'm still trying to get my USB Ports working, but no result up to now, no device (isight, printer etc.) can be connected to the VM!

I tried the new 3.0, with no success

Is there a problem known with the new MBP?? Other specifications?

I tried today the VMware fusion beta, I could conect the printer to the VM but trying to print a test page ends up in a system crash?!

I have to work with the windows apps. there is no alternative, I need it for my office!
    What can I do??

9. hbg

hbg Member

Mara, I am getting exactly the same problem also with a brand new MacBook Pro and with version 3.0 on a USB printer with a Lexmark T522 Laser printer.

10. samuel

samuel Bit poster

USB Problem

Same problem here. Just updated Parallels and now any USB device will not connect because it says another application is using it...please help. Thank you.

11. phantomo

phantomo Bit poster

Similar problem here, got the exact same message that another application is using that USB device. Actually, this started to happen after the Tiger 10.4.10 update.

I am trying to Hotsync my Palm TX on the MacBook Pro with Parallels 2.5 Build 3212. When I plug in the Palm to the MBP using a USB Cable, that message started to appear and I know I don't have other application running that will take over the Palm.

12. mschool

mschool Member

I just realized that I'm having the same problem as well, because iSight was working with Parallels 3188 build, and I just noticed that since upgrading to Mac OS X: 10.4.10, as well as the other posters here, that the USB issue is back.

USB connectivity problem with Garmin iQue -"The selected port, COM1 is not available"
    Mac OS X: 10.4.10
    Parallels Build 3212
    HW: iMac Intel Dual Core with 2GB of Ram

Windows Guest OS is XP Pro
    Parallels is configured with 1GB of Ram

The device I'm having problems with is a Garmin iQue 3600. It is a Palm device with GPS.

When I attempt to sync the Garmin with Hot Sync Manager, XP error window tells me:
    The selected port, COM1, is not available at this time. HotSync Manager will open the port when it becomes available.

Parallels error window tells me:
    USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another application. Close that application or unplug the device and plug it again. Then try to connect the device again.

Well, of course I have tried all that. Re-started the Garmin. Checked to see if Parallels would recognize USB flash drives. They work. But I seem to be in a loop with the Garmin.

Anybody know the solution?

13. reachscott

reachscott Bit poster

Also having problem with USB drives

After loading build 3212, I can no longer access any USB devices -- I get the same message:

USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another application. Close that application or unplug the device and plug it again. Then try to connect the device again.

I've tried everything I can think of to get around this problem. This problem existed in one of the older Parallels version and was fixed with an update.

Seems like the new build has caused a new problem!

Help!!!!

Scott

14. reachscott

reachscott Bit poster

Just saw the incompatibility with the Mac OSX 10.4.10 update

Just saw the USB issues with the Mac OSX 10.4.10 update (which I loaded) and Parallels 2.5 (including build 3212). So, we must wait for a new Parallels update/build to fix the USB problem. I understand that the update will be out in the next few days???

Scott

15. mac2pc

mac2pc Bit poster

This works for me...

Greetings to all here. I'm new Macs in general, and have been using Parallels with my Mini as a crutch. I can't seem to fully let Windows go. Anyhow, I haven't really had any issues with Parallels up until now. I've read the previous posts and I think I have a similar issue with a USB device no longer working.

I think I have also traced the problem to when I installed the Apple update. Nothing else has changed. I'm running Mac OS 10.4.10 and Parallels 3212. The USB device in question for me is a GPS receiver, a BU353 from Globalstat. I get the same message in Parallels that the device is being used by another program or whatever.

Here is what I think some may find interesting, when I reload the Win XP drivers for the BU353, and reboot the virtual machine as instructed, VOILA! The BU353 works in the virtual machine again. Unfortunately, when I shut down and then power up the Mini and bring back Parallels, I get the same problem that can be "fixed" by reloading the driver for my device and rebooting the virtual machine.

I hope this temporary workaround helps others. But more importantly, I hope that this helps the developers or at least points them in the right direction.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I did also try to reinstall Parallels Tools. But that doesn't change anything, only the re-installation of the Windows driver in the virtual machine works for me.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  16. chadrichards

chadrichards Bit poster

Another usb problem...

I just switched from a pc to a mac. However at school we still use pc's and some programs that are not available in mac format. I am trying to use a thumb drive so I can do school work at home. My problem is a little different i believe. When i plug in my thumb drive i can go into parralels and see the drive, when i select it to allow windows to use it. I get an error message that new hardware was found. I can not get the usb controller driver to load. Any suggestions?

17. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

You have to first eject the thumb drive from your Mac so that Windows has exclusive control of it. After the Mac is disconnected from the drive you can use the Parallels menu "Devices -> USB -> device name" to attach to it.

18. chadrichards

chadrichards Bit poster

dkp,
    I have done that however, windows will come up with new hardware found usb device. Then it starts looking for a device driver and can not find it. Could this possibly be a windows issue, i have tried getting the driver off of the windows cd but no success. Any more suggestions, thanks.

19. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I don't know, Chad - that's a problem I can't reproduce. The usual suggestion is to re-install Parallels Tools, though.

20. chadrichards

chadrichards Bit poster

Well I re-installed the parallels tools and now I have the exact same problem with the error message. If anyone comes up with a solution that would be extremely helpful.