Parallels versus Bootcamp in loaded i7 iMac...

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jtcedinburgh, Nov 27, 2010.

1. jtcedinburgh

jtcedinburgh Bit poster

Hi folks.

I've been using an iMac 24" C2D with 2.8GHz cpu and 4Gb ram for these past 2.5 years, through a couple of releases of Parallels, and I've found it barely able to cope with a Windows 7 installation although XP ran okay.

I'm fortunate enough that I'm about to get an iMac i7 27" with 8Gb ram, SSD and 1Tb discs and a second 27" display.

What I'd like to know is, before I shell out for Parallels 6, is this system going to be able to run Windows 7 64-bit properly and at a decent speed. I've found that the C2D iMac struggles, although it is possible to work with it. It takes a while after boot-up before it starts being even remotely responsive, despite trying a number of variations of memory allocation and so on. I ended up reverting to a BootCamp installation for that machine but I would prefer to have everything working properly in Parallels on this new machine if possible.

Could it have been a memory problem with the C2D iMac? I allocated 2Gb ram to Windows 7, then 2.5Gb, but it still wasn't running right. Any more memory allocated and I got the feeling that it was then starving OSX of memory. This shouldn't be a problem on the new machine - I could easily allocate 4Gb without really troubling OSX - but before I spend more money and time trying it out, I wanted to check with other users to see how they've fared with a modern i7 iMac and Parallels.

Also, will I be able to run with a spanning desktop across both 27" displays properly in Parallels 6? I'm going to be running Visual Studio 2010 and SQL Server for development purposes so the more screen space I have the better.

Thanks,

John

2. jtcedinburgh

jtcedinburgh Bit poster

Anyone able to help?

3. John-MichaelD

John-MichaelD Bit poster

Hello, I'm new to the Mac but I just did install W7 using Parallels on a new iMac running just 4GB total memory, with 2GB allocated to windows. So far no problems and it seems to run pretty well with no noticeable lag. I haven't done a whole lot with it though so it's a bit soon to tell how it will respond under heavy use.