Parallels Video Adapter - cannot start "Code 10"

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by speelurker, Mar 23, 2010.

1. speelurker

speelurker Member

I uninstalled a software package from my Windows XP VM, it rebooted and now the Parallels Video Adapter refuses to start - and all I get to debug it with is "Code 10" in device manager.

I've uninstalled Parallel Tools, reinstalled, updated, rolled back, etc. but all with the same result.

Anybody else experiencing this? Any hints on how to debug it? This VM is pretty old but has never been wedged in a way where the correct Parallels Video Adapter would refuse to load.

2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

(Hope you have a backup of your VM) Try a registry repair tool such as CCleaner.

3. speelurker

speelurker Member

Some more information..... There is a workaround. If I shut everything down and reboot Snow Leopard, the Windows VM will boot ok (driver loads, coherence available, 3D acceleration, etc.). However, if I boot a second Linux VM, and then reboot the Windows VM, the driver won't load.

There's all kind of experiments I could probably do to narrow it down, but at the least, this appears to be a host side issue triggered by different VMs doing things to the host side.

4. speelurker

speelurker Member

Thanks for the tip to CCleaner. I ran it, but it didn't find much noticeable. What's interesting is the first reboot afterwards was working again. But the next reboot after that and the video driver would not load again.

5. speelurker

speelurker Member

Another clue. Things go south while the VM is running if I plug a projector into my laptop.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  6. speelurker

speelurker Member

I came back to my laptop after leaving it and the Windows VM up all night and the VM's video adapter went south again. It's displaying a dialog box with this message in it:

"The information about your Mac display configuration could not be retrieved. Please try again or contact the Parallels Support team for assistance."

7. speelurker

speelurker Member

Running over night with the VM in coherence mode, I come back to find it with the following dialog window and the video driver acting odd again. This could well be the the root of the whole problem:

----
    The information about your Mac display configuration could not be retrieved. Please try again or contact the Parallels Support team for assistance.
    ----

I've tried to contact support but have gotten no response.

8. speelurker

speelurker Member

In my continuing conversation with myself..... This is showing up in the console when it launches and the video adapter won't start:

3/31/10 5:51:31 PM kernel com_parallels_usb_control(0xe445c80)::setProperties() PrlUsbLogLevel == 0
    3/31/10 5:51:32 PM kernel /mon/ Memory initialized (available: 768 mb, VESA: 256 mb, swap: 1024 mb)
    3/31/10 5:51:32 PM kernel /mon/ VPID base for this VM is 0x1
    3/31/10 5:51:32 PM kernel /mon/ [HpcMonitorOpen] Opened successfully
    3/31/10 5:51:32 PM kernel /drv/ HypIoctls.c:716 Parallels hypervisor inited (cpus=2 hvt=VTX hvt status=Enabled vtd=NO phy=PAE lin=x32 mem=8192)
    3/31/10 5:51:32 PM kernel /drv/ HypIoctls.c:187 mainRequest failed with status ffffffff
    3/31/10 5:51:32 PM kernel /mon/ Monitor linear space: 0xfffff00000000000 ... 0xfffff000078c7000(00000001000078c7) size=120 mb, size+frames=124 mb
    3/31/10 5:51:32 PM kernel /mon/ [rvi] Forcibly turning RVI off
    3/31/10 5:51:32 PM kernel /mon/ [ept] Forcibly turning EPT off
    3/31/10 5:51:32 PM kernel /mon/ [LoadMonitor] Monitor started( ipi vector=71 )
    3/31/10 5:51:32 PM kernel com_parallels_usb_control(0xe445c80)::setProperties() PrlUsbLogLevel == 0

9. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Maybe you could try rebuilding your permissions? Just possibly the VM can't access a file on your Mac. I've read somewhere that Apple's been changing the Mac's monitor profile at least on MacBooks.

10. speelurker

speelurker Member

Well, two months later and here I am again.... :-(

I ran a permissions check and got nuth'n - everything's fine.

Here's a potential clue for anybody else who runs into this. I don't know if the following is correct or not. I've stopped dorking with it because I've got better things to do and managed to get it working again.

I'm running Spaces and I've got Parallels assigned to a particular space. I *think* what may be happening is that if I launch Parallels from a different desktop *and* Spaces transitions to the assigned desktop *while* Parallels is launching, the problem occurs. Again, I don't know for sure because this is a bitch of a problem to troubleshoot.

I do know that it was happening repeatedly when launching from one desktop and Spaces transitioning to another while Parallels was launching. And I do know that this very last time, I went to the assigned space for Parallels first, launched Parallels and the problem did not occur.

Go figure.

11. Jan Hettich

Jan Hettich Bit poster

Same Problem

I just did a completely fresh install of SnowLeopard on my Mac Book, upgraded to 10.6.4. The installed Parallels 5.0, and created a new VM with Windows XP. And bingo, I'm seeing exactly this problem:

Jun 28 15:10:03 JCHMB1A kernel[0]: /drv/ HypIoctls.c:716 Parallels hypervisor inited (cpus=2 hvt=VTX hvt status=Enabled vtd=NO phy=PAE lin=x32 mem=2048)
    Jun 28 15:10:03 JCHMB1A kernel[0]: /drv/ HypIoctls.c:187 mainRequest failed with status ffffffff

No idea what the deal is ... but I am getting annoyed about these kinds of issues ... about ready to try VMWare!

12. SicujiS

SicujiS Bit poster

You May Run CCleaner Sofware And Tick All To Delete All Files Manually Many Setting Are Not Ticked Also Run Registry Cleaner Feature Then Reboot Your System And Then Run The Virtual Machine.Some Times Old Registry Causes Issue To Run

13. bandasb

bandasb Bit poster

You installed the wrong driver for the device, which - obviously - does not work. Then you remove it and install the correct, generic windows driver and - magic - it works ... useless vid