Parallels Video Driver won't install in XP Pro

Rkcrawf

Bit poster
Hi Everyone,

I've been having this problem since Parallels 2, and updating to 3 hasn't helped. I installed Parallels using the Transporter tool from my old IBM Thinkpad. (R.I.P.). After bringing everything over and installing Parallel Tools, everything worked but Coherence. Eventually, I realized that the Parallels video driver was displaying in the Windows device manager with a yellow exclamation point. I've tried reinstalling the Tools (including the latest version of Parallels 3.0) and manually installing the driver from the vmtools.iso. Support has had me try booting into safe-mode to do the same, but it hasn't helped. They eventually told me to wait for the next release. 2 Releases later, I still have the same problem.

Any help would be appreciated. I would prefer not to have to install XP again (the old machine is gone, so I'd have to buy it) and not to upgrade to Vista (don't think I have enough RAM and would still need to buy it).

My info:
* MacBook Pro 15" - OS X 10.4.10, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, ATI Radeon X160 (256 MB VRAM), 1440 x 900, 32 bit color
* Parallels Desktop for Mac 3.0 (Build 5120 beta), 780 MB RAM
* XP Professional SP2

Thanks
 
Rkcrawf said:
Hi Everyone,

I've been having this problem since Parallels 2, and updating to 3 hasn't helped. I installed Parallels using the Transporter tool from my old IBM Thinkpad. (R.I.P.). After bringing everything over and installing Parallel Tools, everything worked but Coherence. Eventually, I realized that the Parallels video driver was displaying in the Windows device manager with a yellow exclamation point. I've tried reinstalling the Tools (including the latest version of Parallels 3.0) and manually installing the driver from the vmtools.iso. Support has had me try booting into safe-mode to do the same, but it hasn't helped. They eventually told me to wait for the next release. 2 Releases later, I still have the same problem.

Any help would be appreciated. I would prefer not to have to install XP again (the old machine is gone, so I'd have to buy it) and not to upgrade to Vista (don't think I have enough RAM and would still need to buy it).

My info:
* MacBook Pro 15" - OS X 10.4.10, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, ATI Radeon X160 (256 MB VRAM), 1440 x 900, 32 bit color
* Parallels Desktop for Mac 3.0 (Build 5120 beta), 780 MB RAM
* XP Professional SP2

Thanks

Hello!

Please try to reinstall Parallels Tools in Safe Mode. Try to remove video drivers if it is possible using the Device Manager (devmgmt.msc). Try to repair Windows as described in this article.

Please make a backup copy of the virtual machine before the above steps.

Best regards,
John
 
Back
Top