Parallels VM process continues to run after Quit

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by jonkneb, Oct 1, 2012.

1. jonkneb

jonkneb Member

After shutting down Parallels 8 virtual machine (no problems or errors) and quitting the Parallels app (no problems or errors), Parallels VM process continues to run, won't quit, must force quit. Why? What needs fixed?

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

Which version f PD do you run? Mac OS? how much memory does PRL_VM process consume after quitting the VM?

3. jonkneb

jonkneb Member

OSX 10.6.8
    PD Build 8.0.18101
    Process is not PRL_VM but Parallels VM
    CPU % 79.6
    Threads 5
    Real Mem 65.3 MB
    Virtual Mem 2.85 GB
    Shared Mem 0
    Private Mem 26.4 MB
    Virtual Private Mem 192.5 MB

4. YanaYana

YanaYana

Can you please reproduce the issue and send problem report from Help menu --> Report a problem and post the problem ID here?

5. jonkneb

jonkneb Member

The problem occurs AFTER I QUIT PARALLELS..

6. jonkneb

jonkneb Member

ID number 18947617

7. YanaYana

YanaYana

Thanks you, i have forwarded this information for investigation

8. YanaYana

YanaYana

There is a comment regarding this behaviour: even after the GUI window has been closed - processes on the background keep running, shutting down the Virtual Machine and Parallels Desktop app itself. Please do not force quit those processes - they need some time to gently shut down everything without loosing data or interrupting internal processes

9. GoshAlmighty

GoshAlmighty Bit poster

I'm having the same problem. The Parallels VM processes will continue to run even after quitting the VM, and there is a VM for each time I've launched one during the same session, three in my case. They'll continue to run for hours like that.

2011 iMac
    16GB RAM
    OSX 10.6.8
    PD Build 7.0.15107.796624
    Process is named: Parallels VM

Let me know if you need more info.

10. Deadtroll

Deadtroll Bit poster

I have the same problem

Parallels VM will NOT quit even after I've ended the program... even overnight. Please fix this, it's taking up 70% of my processor and drains my battery like crazy. Just make the darned program quit when I tell it to quit. Thanks!

11. GoshAlmighty

GoshAlmighty Bit poster

Just open up Activity Monitor (in Applications/Utilities) and force quit the Parallels VM process (press the Quit button, then Force Quit). I know that's a hassle, but it's the only way I know of to fix that problem.

This issue went away for me in Parallels 7 after upgrading to Lion. Which is probably the reason the Parallels team haven't fixed it. Snow Leopard is now old enough they won't bother, with Mountain Lion now the current OS and Parallels 8 being out.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  12. jonkneb

jonkneb Member

bump

Still doesn't quit..

13. NorthStar7

NorthStar7 Bit poster

Same issue here...what's the status?

I have the exact same issue. CPU usage is just fine while my Windows 7 VM is running. Once I quit the VM, the "Parallels VM" process takes off like a rocket ship and does not stop until I force close it.

I am also running 10.6.8 (with no plans to move since I rely on features Apple removed in 10.7+).

14. NorthStar7

NorthStar7 Bit poster

Solution steps as described by tech support

Here are the instructions i received from Tech Support. I have not tried them yet so I am not sure if it solves the problem...

I understand that you were unable to quit Parallels VM Process.

In order to resolve the issue we suggest you to perform the below mentioned steps:

- Please uninstall Parallels Desktop using Terminal.app by referring following link:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/114624

- Go to Finder > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utilities > Click on Mac HD > perform Repair disk permission > Restart the Mac.

- And the use the below mentioned link to download and install Parallels Desktop :

www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd8

Please update us with the status of the issue.

If the issue persists, please do contact us and we would be glad to assist you.

15. jonkneb

jonkneb Member

>I understand that you were unable to quit Parallels VM Process.

I am able to force quit the process.
    Not sure if your guy understands the problem..

16. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Please send me the problem report IDs from Help > Report a Problem - I'll try to help

17. jonkneb

jonkneb Member

ID number 18947617

18. Andrew@Parallels

Thanks. Let us see what we find in the report. Will post back once I hear from devs.

19. NorthStar7

NorthStar7 Bit poster

This procedure given to me by Tech Support did not correct the issue. Not a surprise but I thought I would save anyone else the hassle of attempting the procedure.

20. Andrew@Parallels

Could you submit another report please?

This time quit Parallels Desktop, open up Applications/Utilities/Terminal and copy/paste this command there:

prlsrvctl problem-report --send

It will show you another ID. Please post it here.