Parallels will not launch without internet connxn

Discussion in 'Parallels Website and Forum' started by Gertrude, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Gertrude

Gertrude Bit poster

Hi.
    I'm a new MacBook Pro user and Parallels was recommended to me by a colleague, so I got it. I'm not great with computers and really am not interested in becoming great with operating systems. I use computers to do my work, though, so I need them.

I have to be able to launch Parallels anywhere, any time, because in my work I run meetings with MS XP-compatible applications with my computer at remote locations.

I can launch Parallels fine at home, where I can connect to the internet. I can get into Windows in my hotel room, where I can connect to the internet.

BUT--when I go to the worksite, where there is no wireless internet connection, Parallels will not launch. This will cost me about 20 hours of overtime--just for this week's work. Not a good way to live.

Can someone tell me if there is a way to get Parallels to launch without requiring an internet connection to be active? It seems very silly to me to have internet connection a mandatory requirement to get into my VM when the whole reason I got a Mac was to avoid all the virus problems that you get with MS systems. I don't want to connect to the internet from my VM--ever.

Thanks,
    Gertrude

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Gertrude,

Generally you can launch Parallels without network connection. You will get a notification: "Problem with network adapter is detected/ Please check if network cable is connected...". However this does not mean you can not start Windows. Just click OK and go on.

If you still can not launch the Guest OS, the problem is somewhere else. Do you get any other messages? What can you see when trying to start Windows? What build are you using, what are your Host and Guest OS?

Best regards,
    Xenos

3. Gertrude

Gertrude Bit poster

Hi, Xenos
    I replied a couple of days ago, but can't find the reply, so to repeat:
    I have MacBook Pro, OS Leopard 10.5.1
    Parallels Desktop 3.0, build 4128

When I try to launch and there is no internet connection available, here is the message I get:
    "The application Parallels Desktop quit unexpectedly.
    Mac OS X and other applications not affected"
    Then I'm asked whether I want to try to relaunch or not. Trying to relaunch does not work. Then, it asks me if I want to reset the settings and relaunch. This also doesn't work.
    When internet connection is restored, Parallels launches again just fine.

Any advice or help you can offer will be much appreciated. Tomorrow, I'll be on the road again, in a large corporate office. They will not allow me to get into their system, and if there is no wireless in their building, I'll be dead in the water again. Please help to save me this embarrassment.

Thanks,
    Gertrude

4. Gertrude

Gertrude Bit poster

Hi again, Xenos
    Forgot to tell you, guest OS is Windows XP SP 2.
    Thanks,
    G

5. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

2 update's :

Leopard 10.5.2

Parallels build 5584

Try installing update's .......

6. Gertrude

Gertrude Bit poster

Hi, there.
    After trying a bunch of stuff, I've found something on the Mac support website. Check out Article 306876, and 306840. It appears that what they're talking about has happened to me. My administrator account has magically been downgraded to a user account. There is no administrator for my computer, and I can't do any upgrades until that's fixed. I tried to follow the instructions in 306876, but no go. Reset Password (step 2) won't open up properly (it's also not as easy to find as they say on the instructions; you have to find an "Applications" folder, in which the Utilities folder is located). I wrote them to tell them that their instructions didn't work for me. No reply yet.

Anyway, in case anybody else has this problem, I thought I'd put this onto the thread so you'll know about it and what my experience has been. Maybe the articles will work for you.

I'm taking this machine into the shop. Maybe they can fix it there. I'm at the end of my rope.

Cheers,
    G

7. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Gertrude, we appreciate the information provided by you. I hope it will help other users who might encounter the same issue.
    Good luck :)

Best regards,
    Xenos

8. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

just a guess
    try switching off the router after you start Parallels at home to see what happens when the connection dies

A work around will be to connect to the internet independantly via a mobile telephone or a 3g connector whilst on the road

Hugh W

9. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

Ijust unpluuged my internet connection and nothing happened
    re-booted both systems off line and everything was OK

no mail or usent obviously
    again a guess

you have a windows app thet must phone home
    possibly an office mail server
    or office security system

or an ante-thief protection application to kill your lappie if it is stolen
    quickest work around willbe amobilephone connection until you fond the culprit

Not mac OS
    not parallels
    not Windows Xp sp2

have you run an ante virus scan on the Windows side
    you could have a trojan under there

searh my old posts for a link to the MS computer protection system
    which will clean up your VM - gratis

Hugh W