parallels / windows doesn't start any longer: scsi controller not installed ?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bigrelative, Dec 28, 2008.

1. bigrelative

bigrelative Bit poster

when trying to boot windows now with parallels 4.0 it comes to this (screenshot) :

Parallels (R) VGA-Compatible BIOS Version 3.0.2111.89721
    4.0.3540.221897 Tue, 25 Nov 2008 22:51:14
    Copyright 2008 Parallels, Inc. All rights reserved

1600 MB physical memory installed

SCSI controller is not installed.
    Network bootrom is installed.
    Trying to boot from Primary Master IDE drive ...

Fehler beim Lesen des Datenträgers
    Neustart mit Strg+Alt+Entf

_

ANYONE AN IDEA WHAT TO DO?

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Stop Virtual machine, backup it, perform Windows repair

3. bigrelative

bigrelative Bit poster

thx for the fast reply - is there a step by step instruction anywhere?

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

5. NancyW

NancyW Bit poster

windows keeps rebooting with messsage: scsi controller not installed.

I tried to reboot from the windows xp installation cd as advised in article 5138 but system just keeps trying to boot up from the existing virtual drive. all i can do is stop and start, restarting just keep rebooting. Any idea how to fix this?

6. desgael

desgael Pro

Did you follow step 5: "Choose the "Boot" and then set the boot sequence to CD-ROM, Hard Disk, floppy."?

I see this is Parallels 4.0 so you need to navigate to: Virtual machine -> Configure -> Boot Order, and make sure that CD/DVD-ROM is on the top (you would not be able to change anything unless virtual machine is stopped at the moment).

Also, please note that even if the boot order is set up properly you would still need to press any key (you would be asked) to boot from the CD.

7. StephanieS

StephanieS Bit poster

I'm getting the same message..I don't have the windows vista cd I just downloaded the trial version?

8. desgael

desgael Pro

In order to use Windows in virtual machine you should obtain the CD then.
    Windows or any other OS have to be installed inside the VM. Check here.

9. AliA

AliA Bit poster

Parallels doesn't work anymore!

I have been using parallels for 2 years (since 3.0), and have been using 4.0 without problem until yesterday when the automatic upgrade downloaded the 4.0.3846 version. Even when I uninstall and go back to the 4.0.3844 (the last I got working), I still have the same problem.
    I looked on the net for instructions but nothing worked!

UNABLE TO CONNECT HARD DISK 1

then:

Network bootrom is installed.
    Trying to boot from Primary Master IDE drive ... failed
    Tring to boot from CD-ROM drive ... failed
    Trying to boot from Floppy ...

Is there any clear and easy step by step procedure to follow to fix that? I do not have access to my Windows XP CD I used to install (that was 2 years ago, and won't have access to it in long time; I never needed it for any upgrade).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  10. CansuA

CansuA Bit poster

hi have you solved this problem of yours, cause i have the same

11. AliA

AliA Bit poster

Unfortunately I haven't solved the problem. To be honest I gave up and will wait to get a hand on my Windows XP CD (and make sure I keep it close to my Mac all the time).

The Parallels staff has made efforts to try to help. If you are willing to give them remote access to your Mac (while you are online, seeing what they do) they might be able to fix the issue. I don't want to do that, so we tried through email instructions (without success though).

12. CansuA

CansuA Bit poster

Hi

I first removed my illigal xp and then used my original XP home edition cd to install and it seems like working. Hope no problem occurs.

13. FernandoS

FernandoS Bit poster

I am running windows 7 on my VM and it was running perfect for a couple days now all the sudden i get this message too and i'm not sure what to do can anyone help? thanks

14. presmini

presmini Bit poster

Just found this on apple forums and it worked for me for a windows XP guest OS from bootcamp.

15. JanetM

JanetM Bit poster

Apple forum solution worked with one drive

Thanks presmini!!

I had only one drive appear under the source drop down, but simply selecting it and saving got parallel to recognize it and format the disk so it would start up.

Good Tip!

16. Chris TRAVELSTEAD

Chris TRAVELSTEAD Bit poster

scsi trouble

I tried to get on parallels a few days ago and still can't I get the message:
    Network bootram is installed.
    Trying to boot from CD-Rom drive... failed
    Trying to boot from Primary Master IDE drive.....

17. mollykolly

mollykolly Bit poster

I fixed this. I had this happen while running a palm desktop sync (for my work). I had a fatal error and shut down. To fix this I had to install parallels again and create a new virtual machine. Then I had to download Windows again (windows 7). Once I had windows installed I had to install the parallels tools. At first I did not install the parallels tools and which made it look like my files were not recovered, and my mouse was stuck in the parallels window (even w control, alt), it didn't even see the wifi. Once the parallel tools were installed everything was recovered and I was able to delete the original parallels VM.