Parallels windows not appearing

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by dramsey, Jan 29, 2020.

1. dramsey

dramsey Junior Member

I'm running Parallels 15 under Mac OS Catalina.

Although my virtual machines still work, none of the Parallels windows are appearing.

I can't show the Control Center, the Preferences window, or even the About box. Check for Updates and Account and License don't work either. This means I can't adjust the configurations for any of my VMs.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Hi, did you start your VM with the Coherence mode?
    Could you please also try to restart your Mac and then check again.

3. zaheerkhanh

zaheerkhanh Bit poster

Can you copy paste the exact error shown to you here so that we can help you with regards to it.

4. dramsey

dramsey Junior Member

Hi Maria,

Normally I run my Windows VMs in full screen mode, but the mode I'm using appears to have no effect, and the various windows won't appear regardless of the viewing mode the VM is using.

5. dramsey

dramsey Junior Member

There is no error message: as I mentioned, the windows simply don't appear. If I select "Control Center" from the Parallels menu item (the two vertical red bars), the menu item gets a check mark, but the Control Center window does not appear.

UPDATE: I've discovered I can make the windows appear _if a VM is running_. In this case the Window appears on the VM. Example:

1. Start Parallels Desktop.
    2. Select "Control Center". The menu item gets a check mark but no Control Center window is evident.
    3. Start Windows 10 full screen VM. The check mark by "Control Center" in the Parallels menu on the Mac side disappears.
    4. Select "Control Center" from the menu again. The Control Center window appears _on the Windows 10 desktop_.
    5. Exit full screen mode. Both Windows 10 and the Control Center window appear on the Mac desktop.
    6. Shut down Windows 10 VM. The Control Center window remains on the Mac desktop. Is the problem fixed?
    7. No. Quit and restart Parallels Desktop, select "Control Center", and we're back to Step 2.

6. dramsey

dramsey Junior Member

More than two years and several Parallels updates later, this problem persists...now across multiple computers.