Parallels-XP Home and Firewire?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by chim, Aug 20, 2007.

1. chim

chim Member

I have a WD Outboard HD that runs off of a 400 Firewire, OR a USB connection.

Can this HD be run by XP under Parallels on the Firewire?? (Preferred)
    Can this HD be run by XP under Parallels on the USB connection?

Parallels Build 4560 here.

2. Intersecting

Intersecting Parallels Team

Yes it can.
    There are two ways to run it in the PD.
    1. Connect it via USB directly to the VM but won't be available in Mac.
    2. Use the firewire or USB to connect it to Mac. In the configuration editor share it with the VM. You'll find it in the Parallels Shared Folders on your Windows desktop.

I prefer the second way, because it allows you use the device both in Mac and Windows environment.

3. chim

chim Member

Great News!! Thanks so much.

4. chim

chim Member

Sorry I can't make it work. On my Windows XP desktop, I have a "Parallels Shared Folder" and it has NOTHING in it.

I searched for Configuration Editor and Shared Folders and could find nothing, in both Mac and Win.

Any ideas where to look for this Configuration Editor??

5. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello!

Please read this article:
    How to access Configuration Editor and edit the virtual machine configuration.

Best regards,
    John

6. chim

chim Member

Thanks John. I have printed it out and will study it.
    Part of my problem is that the Windows XP - Parallels Desktop screen whirls around so fast, I can't stop it before it flips over to the XP Boot up screen. Then it is too late to get the Configuration Page.

7. chim

chim Member

I found the configuration Editor. And in the Parallels desktop, I went to Edit > VirtualMachine.
    Under Share With Mac, I checked: all Windows Disks and Mount Virtual Disk to Mac Desktop.
    Under Share Mac with Windows, I checked: All Mac Disks, User defined Folders and added: Untitled/Volumes/Copy of C R/W (The "Copy Of C" is the name of the Partition on the WD HD).
    The Parallels Shared Folders in the Windows Desktop shows Name: Untitled. Windows can see the files that are on the WD HD. It cannot write to this disk. When I try to copy a file to the WD HD, I get the error message:
    Cannot Copy (file name): cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.

Any suggestions? I have the WD HD connected by the firewire 400. This drive was formatted in NTFS by my old Windows PC, 2 partitions. I just want to read one partition, for now.

8. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello!

Can you copy a file to the WD HD directly in Mac OS X? The drive file system is NTFS. Mac OS X can only read the data but not write the data to the ntfs partition,

Best regards,
    John

9. chim

chim Member

I re-partitioned the WD HD with the Mac, and set up one partition for Mac and one for PC. I can indeed copy files to the WD HD from the Mac. I can also read these files again with the Mac.

Now the PC part does not even see this HD. I went back into the Configuration Editor and changed the name of the partition to agree with the new name and setup.

Any more ideas??

10. chim

chim Member

Is there any way to get the XP VM to see the hard drive on the Firewire??
    I am running Parallels 4560 and XP Home. Machine is a MacBook Pro, intel.

11. chim

chim Member

Now it works. It shows up in that Shared Folder on the Windows desktop.

I don't know why it works. But I am happy now.