password root debian

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by JG_4, Jan 24, 2024.

1. JG_4

JG_4 Bit poster

Hello,

I've already seen posts like this but no satisfactory answer has been given, I've just created a virtual machine under Debian, except that I don't have the root password by default ... The solution given in the other posts is to create a root user, but to do that you need to be able to log in as root at least once, so you need the password ... What is the default password, please?
    Thanks in advance

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

2. JG_4

JG_4 Bit poster

As you can see, the proposed solutions do not work because to change the root password you need to be root .... I'm running debian 12

Attached Files:

3. Avinash Bundhoo

Avinash Bundhoo Staff Member

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback!

In fact the command should be as below:

sudo passwd root

Once you press enter, you need to enter the password for "Parallels" user (which is the first user created and has admin priviledge")
    You will then be prompted to set new password for the user root.
    Once set, you can test by logging as root. You can type the command as below:

login root

Type the new set password

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks

4. JG_4

JG_4 Bit poster

No, it just doesn't work. I've only defined one password, the one that opens the user's session, and when I type it in, it's not recognized on the terminal! What's even stranger is that this same password worked when I installed the parrallel tools!

5. JG_4

JG_4 Bit poster

Ok it works as much for me the error was that my keyboard was not on the right language and given that on the terminal the password is not visible I had not noticed anything sorry for the inconvenience