Paste Special (Ctrl + Alt + V) makes the square root sign (√)

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by CaileyR, May 14, 2018.

1. CaileyR

CaileyR Bit Poster

I am running fully updated versions of Parallels 12 and Windows 10 on Mac OS High Sierra (10.13.4).

In Excel 2016, I am running into an issue where the Paste Special command (Ctrl + Alt + V) creates the square root symbol (√) instead of launching the paste special dialogue box.

I have tried updating my Mac shortcut preferences, creating shortcuts in Parallels, etc. Nothing works.

Does anyone have a way to make this happen? I would be so grateful! It's one of the main commands that I use in Excel, and I'll have to switch from Parallels to a different software if I can't figure this one on out.

(Note: I know that I can use Alt + E + S) but it's not in my muscle memory and doesn't work in Mac Excel, and I like to standardize shortcuts across the two platforms as best I can.)

2. MrBurbles

MrBurbles

I am having this exact same issue, and the Alt, E, S "shortcut" doesn't work for me either. I wonder if OP found a solution in the Mac-VM translation or another thread? Thanks!

3. CaileyR

CaileyR Bit Poster

Hi @MrBurbles , unfortunately not -- this is still something I struggle with. Current I just use Mac Excel as much as possible and switch to VM-excel only when really necessary.

4. Sathiya@Parallels

Sathiya@Parallels Staff Member

Hi CaileyR. Please refer this article and set the send OS X system shortcuts to 'Always'. Then restart the virtual machine and check if it works fine.

5. TomaszT2

TomaszT2 Bit Poster

Hi Sathiya@Parallels. I did it all what was in this instruction, and I still have problem with Ctrl + Alt + V wits creates √ symbol. Can somebody help me with this issue? I'ts really uncomfortable when i'am using Excel.

6. KebhaK@Parallels

KebhaK@Parallels Parallels Support

HI @TomaszT2 , Please follow steps in this article and let us know if it works.

7. TomaszT2

TomaszT2 Bit Poster

Hi KebhaK@Parallels. I did it all what was in this article, and I still have this problem.
    My configuration: Parallels Desktop Pro ver 14.1.0 (45387) + Windows 10 PRO PL (with all current updates), Microsoft Office Business 365 Excel (with all current updates).

8. KebhaK@Parallels

KebhaK@Parallels Parallels Support

Please try reinstalling Microsoft Excel. If the issue persists please follow steps in this article and share us the technical report ID for investigating the issue further.