PD4 & Boot Camp: Unable to connect to hard disk 1

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by strells, Nov 11, 2008.

1. strells

strells Product Expert

Once I get to the point of installing Parallels tools on my BC volume and rebooting, I can't boot because PD can't connect to hard disk 1, for some reason. I tried creating a new VM and the same thing happened.

Also, I've been getting a ton of the "Connection failed" dialog boxes.

What's going on here?

Steve

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

in Configuration Editor for VM remove Hard
    DIsk 1, and add Hard disk, pointing to Boot Camp, make sure it is the
    same disk as shown in System Profiler -Serial-ATA- and disk name (check
    Model string) as FUJITSU MHV2080BH or another which applicable where Boot Camp is lo

3. strells

strells Product Expert

Failed to configure the Boot Camp partition's hard disk.

A disk configuration error has occurred. Make sure that you have read/write permissions for the disk.

I get this error when I try to click OK. The volume is mounted on my desktop.

Steve

4. strells

strells Product Expert

Tried again and still can't connect to hard disk 1.

Steve

5. John@Parallels

Please put here diskutil list

6. strells

strells Product Expert

I can get the disk back by deleting and re-adding it, but every time I try to install Parallels tools, the same thing happens again. Argh!

Steve

7. John@Parallels

Please put here diskutil list output from Terminal

8. strells

strells Product Expert

Macintosh-6:~ strells$ diskutil list
    /dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *298.1 Gi disk0
    1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS MBP 245.9 Gi disk0s2
    3: Microsoft Basic Data 51.9 Gi disk0s3

9. John@Parallels

-Edit /Users/<user>/Documents/Parallels/<VM Name>.pvm/config.pvs
    -In the <hdd> section, find <SystemName>
    -Change "/dev/disk0" or a similar value to the full path of the disk
    image in the same directory. In my case it was "/Users/<USER>/
    Documents/Parallels/My Boot Camp.pvm/FUJITSU MHV2080BH.hdd"
    E.g to HD file in pvm budle
    -Restart the VM
    Should be like this
    <SystemName>/Users/john/Documents/Parallels/My Boot Camp.pvm/FUJITSU MHV2080BH.hdd</SystemName>

Be carefull

10. John@Parallels

Also try go to the hard disk pref in Configuration, changed from boot camp to image and then back to Boot Camp

11. strells

strells Product Expert

How do I edit this file? Will this fix problems with installing Parallels tools (can't get into coherence; mouse locked in VM window, etc.)?

Steve

12. strells

strells Product Expert

Well, now my problem is basically a matter of the fact that I install Parallels tools, I reboot, and it tells me Parallels tools are not installed. I've done this a number of times already and the tools will just not install.

Steve

13. John@Parallels

Check for Undo disks

14. strells

strells Product Expert

This is a boot camp partition. There is no undo.

Steve

15. peabo

peabo Bit poster

I am having this exact problem. Tried what you suggested about editing the file, but it just keeps running the 'upgrade' process, getting no further than step one before telling me that I need to perform a manual upgrade and being unable to access the disk properly.

Windows tells me:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
    Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
    Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  16. strells

strells Product Expert

I don't have that. Now what I have is simply that the installation of Parallels tools doesn't do anything other than occasionally forcing me to remove and re-add my Boot Camp partition as the hard disk for the VM.

Steve

17. Manatee

Manatee Member

Same problem here. :-(

Now to read the rest of the thread... which I hope will solve the problem. :)

18. shangashabe

shangashabe Bit poster

Easier way to fix: Find your VM file in your finder. Right click and choose show package contents. Open the config.pvs file in textedit and then drag the hard drive from the package to the apropriate spot in system name. No command line neccesary.

19. peabo

peabo Bit poster

I edited the file but it still won't let me boot windows, it gives me a DOS screen saying that it can't read from the selected disk after failing the automated 'upgrade' process on step 1.

20. scottetc

scottetc Junior Member

Same here - lost hard disk

Pretty much the same thing happened to me. Imac core2 duo 2.4GHz. I had parallels 4 working great and it is faster than 3. I was playing with the configure settings. The 2 CPU option is great. Then I changed the memory to 1024MB and the next time I tried to start the VM, it cant find the hard disk (boot camp). I tried all of the above work arounds but it just got worse. So I completely uninstalled with the uninstall program and checked to remove everything the uninstaller had to offer. I then deleted the parallels folder under Documents. Reboot. Reinstall parallels 4. Now its starting to work. Oh wait, windows now thinks there is all new hardware. Restart windows. Install parallels tools. Restart windows. Windows still thinks some hardware is not installed. Let windows install drivers (parallels tool and video driver). Winblows needs to restart again. UhOh, now winblows needs reactivation. Activate but have to call. REstart winblows. Hea, it works. I'm back to where I was yesterday. Guess I wont mess with any more settings for now. Frustrating but it is better than 3 when its working.