PD4: Ghost icons in system tray/menu bar in Coherence mode

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by HZC, Nov 19, 2008.

1. HZC

HZC Member

Today I noticed 3 icons in the menu bar I've never seen before. I should have taken a snapshot, but they look like a network connection icon with a yellow dot at the bottom. Each icon had this dot in a different place so they are probably usually used for animation while searching/connecting, or whatever.

As hovering over them showed nothing and they were not clickable, I showed the actual Windows taskbar to see if I could interact with them to find out what they were. They were NOT in the Windows taskbar.

I rebooted my Windows VM and that got rid of them, but I am still puzzled as to what they were doing there, though they seemed benign.

Anyone else had this?

2. fusionboar

fusionboar Bit poster

Yep, I've noticed the same thing with the same type of network connection icons.

3. twynne

twynne Hunter

FWIW, these icons show up (in Windows) when the network adapter is 'trying' to establish a connection. They might be controlled by the option within the properties of the network connection 'Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity'. I've noticed them as well when I make any changes that affect network connections.

On a related note, I think PD4 has issues with getting rid of icons from the menu bar once they're no longer visible in the Windows taskbar. I've got several that seem to stay in the menu bar indefinitely, and they ignore the hide/show settings you've made in Windows as well. I've raised an issue for this but doubt it will get addressed any time soon.