PD7 and Parallels Mobile

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BernhardB, Sep 9, 2011.

1. BernhardB

BernhardB Hunter

I had a connection from my iPad to PD7. I did disconnect Parallels Mobile from preferences within PD 7. Then this happened: I could still connect from my iPad and manipulate everything within OSX.

1) How do you think this was possible?
    2) How do I establish transparency what connection from Parallels Mobile actually happen to my OSX computer.

Currently, Paralles Mobile seems to me the perfect hack to do anything anytime to my main computer without my consent or knowledge.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  2. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

Hi.

Thank you very much for your feedback. Seems you did not disable direct connect at iPhone tab preferences. So PD still listen on LAN and can accept direct connections. Try to disable direct connection and recheck issue

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  3. wonder_mice

wonder_mice Hunter

There are two ways to connect from mobile application to your host:
    1. Direct connection (when mobile device and your Mac are both in the same network)
    2. Via proxy server (work in all cases)

In the Mobile page of Parallels Desktop preferences you need to do two things to disable Parallels Mobile connections:
    1. Click [Logoff] button to disconnect Parallels Desktop from proxy server
    2. Uncheck [Connect Parallels Mobile directly to my Mac] checkbox to disable local connections

If you will be still able to connect from mobile device, please submit a problem report (http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058) and post its ID here.

4. BernhardB

BernhardB Hunter

Thank you for your replies.

What about my question 2? Is there a possibility now or would it be a feature request? I think it is very important to see what connections there have been.

Also, I have to note that managing the connections from preferences is very awkward. It should be part of the menu, if not even icon on menu bar.

Another questions: what kind of privacy protections are in the user agreement for PD 7 on this matter, if at all?

5. wonder_mice

wonder_mice Hunter

For now there is now way to see list of connections from mobile devices.
    Thanks for your ideas, we will think on that topic.

6. BernhardB

BernhardB Hunter

LawrenceSM - "privacy protection" is not good wording of mine. I means wording where Parallels obligates itself to protecting the privacy.

Currently, PD establishes connections on that matter that, if hacked, could lead to a fully take over of the computer, where the owner has zero control as long as the internet connection is on.

Does anyone know what kind of connection it is. Furthermore, why do I need to give my admin password of my computer to PD? Is this a setup demanded by OS X or PD?

7. Fly

Fly Junior Member

Cannot connect

When iPad at home with computer, I do connect with Parallels Mobile (both latest versions).

However, I cannot connect when away.....presumably the 'proxy service' way. Most likely, I do not know how to set this up.

My home Mac sits behind both the Verizon Fios box and an Airport Extreme box.....2 network translations I suppose.

8. sandro

Please provide with details how do you work with Parallels mobile at home - do you use direct connect mode there?

9. Fly

Fly Junior Member

I have dug into this matter. IF Parallels is running on the Mac, then I can access my MacPro with my iPad away from home using Parallels Mobile.

This seems obvious I suppose. However, I found that if I shut down Parallels on the Mac and then access the Mac from the iPad.....connection works! But only for a while. If I wait 3-5 minutes or so after I close the Parallels program, I cannot make connection.

By the way, I filed a problem report, which was closed after saying nothing more than giving me the following link....http://kb.parallels.com/en/8982

A slap in my face.

10. sandro

Hi.

Could you please specify:

- you can not work with your host at all or you can see VMs list and work with them but cannot work with Mac host itself?
    - when you shutdown Parallels is not your host goes to sleep within 3-5 minutes?

11. Fly

Fly Junior Member

when Parallels program not running (or more than a few minutes after it is shut down), I cannot see my remote host or its VMs

to be able to see the host from the iPad away from home......the host cannot be sleeping, it must be on. if host in sleep mode, remote access to it from the iPad not possible

12. sandro

Yes. It's known problem - Parallels doesn't configure your host to prevent from sleep by itself when it in background. So you have to configure non sleep mode manually at System Preferences. Sorry for inconveniences.