Performance difference between Parallels Bootcamp Mode and Parallels VM

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JasonL2, Jul 12, 2016.

1. JasonL2

JasonL2 Bit poster

Hi there,
    I'm currently running Windows 10 in Parallels Bootcamp mode and it works great. I'll soon be setting up a machine for a new hire and was wondering if there's a difference in performance between Bootcamp mode and running Windows in a regular virtual machine. Performance is great in Bootcamp mode but I wasn't sure if that was due to the mode or virtualization instructions, etc. I'm pretty much a virtual machine rookie so any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jason

2. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hey @JasonL2
    Firstly, we are glad that you like the product. The major difference in running a virtual machine from boot camp and running a virtual machine from the Mac hard disk is the limitations of boot camp based virtual machine. For example, you cannot pause, take snapshots or compress the virtual machines based on boot camp.
    If you are looking to setup the Windows for the first time, you could try installing it directly on the Mac side of the computer.
    Or, you could simple import the boot camp partition to the Mac hardisk and check the difference in the performance on your existing Mac.
    This is because the installed Windows applications also play major role in deciding the performance.

3. JasonL2

JasonL2 Bit poster

Unfortunately I don't have enough space on any of my drives to import it. Primarily the apps I'm using are Visual Studio 2015, SQL Server 2014 (for development), and sometimes Word and Excel.

4. Sasti@Parallels

The applications you run works fine in both boot camp and direct virtual machines. If you wish to fully utilise the feature of Parallels Desktop, you can go for the direct virtual machine on Mac hard disk.
    You could also check this blog post for running virtual machines from external storage drives.

5. JasonL2

JasonL2 Bit poster

Great, thanks Sasti, that's exactly what I was looking to find out!
    Jason

6. Sasti@Parallels

Hey Jason, you're welcome! Feel free to reach out to us any time.

7. kyawthumin

kyawthumin Bit poster

Hi
    After importing bootcamp window to MAC harddisk can i delete my bootcamp partation?

8. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi kyawthumin.
    You mean after importing the Boot Camp Windows into Parallels as a standalone virtual machine? Yes, you can, once you ensure the newly-created virtual machine works and a snapshot is taken.