Philips Pronto USB

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by davec, Aug 29, 2006.

1. davec

davec Junior Member

The only reason i have a Dell is to program my Pronto universal remote. I got parallels on the hope that i could finally ditch the Dell, but my hopes were dashed. I don't know if it's a USB 2.0 thing or what, but Virtual PC has the same problem, it can't communicate with the Pronto. Only Boot Camp does it correctly. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

-dave

2. pardeike

pardeike Bit poster

Second that!

Same here. I bought Parallels Desktop for Mac quite early to support them. Now, all I get is new product announcements telling me that it "fully supports USB" which obvious isn't true.

The Pronto Pro NG I have is certainly not a hacker's product. It's expensive, it's from Philips (they do all kinds of products whereof many are USB based) and the corresponding PC software is around now for quite a while.

Still, Parallels isn't able to do USB on my MacBook Pro - which as you state - works flawless when booted into Windows XP.

Come on guys at Parallels! Get USB working NOW.

*** In case tech support ever reads this: I'm an experiences developer so if you tell me how to debug this device I will be more than helpful to make it happen.

3. jcolson

jcolson Bit poster

I would also like pronto support.... This is a real bummer, I get:

USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another process......

But I can never connect to the pronto.

Help!

4. MauiBoy

MauiBoy Bit poster

Not a problem with Parallels

I don't think this is an issue with Parallels. I tried hooking my Pronto NG (TSU3000) up, and my Mac never sees it on the USB port (does not show up in System Profiler). It also does not show up in the list of USB devices that can be attached to Parallels. So, I think the issue is with the Pronto itself. If it never indicates to the USB port that it exists, then Parallels can't be expected to know it's there. Apparently, if Windows is running on my Mac under BootCamp, then it must advertise to Windows correctly. Or, at least the software can directly query the USB port. My guess is that the Pronto never advertises itself; the Pronto Editor scans all the USB ports for it.

I haven't hooked it up to my Windows box yet, so I don't know if the New Hardware wizard starts when it is plugged in. If not, this would confirm the theory above. If it does show up, the Pronto must not be advertising itself correctly on the Mac.

Just my 2 cents...

5. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

Humph, sounds like a mac problem - not a useful to all 'wish'. Why not post it in the mac forum?

6. joem

joem Forum Maven

The only way to determine whether or not the Mac sees it is with the "USB Prober", which is part of the Apple developer tool kit (or by seeing that it works in bootcamp).

The Mac does not "scan" the USB bus or ports. The interaction between devices and the USB subsystem for initialization is at the hardware level, so if it works in bootcamp, the Mac sees it.

Full USB passthrough has been at the top of my wish list from day one. It's obviously not as easy as it looks or they would have done it by now. It may require cooperation from Apple, and it seems to me that such cooperation seems clearly in Apple's interest. Next Apple update maybe?

7. snowball

snowball Bit poster

Still No Joy using Build 3188

Please Parallels dudes get the USB 2.0 stuff right. There are a lot of us Parallels users using Philips Pronto software!!!

:mad: :confused: :eek: