Please Help me with Parallels

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by dp345_123, Jul 28, 2007.

1. dp345_123

dp345_123 Bit poster

I am running parallels on my mac book pro that i purchased three weeks ago and i decided to restart the virtual drive from ground zero. (deleting it and rebuilding it) When i was on the parallels site earlier, i read that i could use my external hard drive to store the virtual disk. It worked and then later when i went to use parallels, it said that i needed to create a virtual disk... I have the file on the external drive (windowsxp.hdd) is the file name but i cant get it to boot!

PLEASE HELP. I NEED THIS FOR WORK!

Thanks

2. Robster

Robster Hunter

Have you tried double clicking the .pvs file on your external hard disk?

This SHOULD start it.

Robin

3. ariell

ariell Member

You should open your parallels preferences and set the location of the hdd as the file on the external hard drive.

4. dp345_123

dp345_123 Bit poster

i have tried that but it gives me a number of error messages...

5. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Have you put .hdd back on your macbookpro?

6. Stan O

Stan O Parallels Team

Hi,
    what kind of error messages do you receive?
    What version of Parallels Desktop are you running?
    Are you sure you have entered the correct path to the .hdd file in the Configuration Editor of the VM?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  7. dp345_123

dp345_123 Bit poster

Hi,

I am using the most current version of parallels. I read in the quick start guide that you could use an external drive to store the virtual disk so i deleted my past virtual clone because it was too small and would not expand the drive size. I did this, reinstalled parallels and made the parallels file so the hard drive size would be 100000mb. It worked but when i closed parallels, it told me that there was no virtual drive located in the specified file. I clicked on the file windowsxp.hdd that was in the parallels folder on the external drive and it would not work.

Is there a way to be refunded for the tech support call i paid for. I bought it then didnt need it.

8. Stan O

Stan O Parallels Team

Hi,

Please locate the .pvs file of your virtual machine. Usually it is easy to locate it through Finder->Documents->Parallels->'NameOfYourVM' . Double click it. The Parallels Desktop will start up with this virtual machine. Click the Hard Drive 1 link. The Configuration Editor will show up. See the Image File section. Please, provide the path to the Hard Disk stored on your external device. Click OK and start the VM.
    Generally this should do the trick