Possible bug - Parallels 5 and Spaces ?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by GireshN, Nov 19, 2009.

1. GireshN

GireshN Bit poster

Hi all, come across what seems to be a very strange bug

No matter which 'Space' is assigned to Parallels 5 under Spaces Preferences, opening Parallels 5 will always revert back to Space 1. As you can imagine this is very annoying !

Similarly, if no Space preference is assigned, Parallels will still switch back to Space 1, which is even more annoying !!!

Any ideas ?

Running Mac OS X 10.6.2

2. Brian C

Brian C Bit poster

Same issue here

Yep, I've got the same issue here...

--Brian

3. supertechkid

supertechkid Bit poster

I'd try re-installing if you haven't already. I haven't had any issue at all like that. If I have spaces for Parallels 5 set to space 2, and I'm on space 5, then it switches me to space 2 and opens, and if I don't have it specify which space for P5, then it opens as expected on whatever space i'm on.

Sean

4. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

I cannot confirm either. I have 2 spaces, and Parallels is running in Space 2 (the Mac stuff is running in Space 1). Parallels does as it should on my machine - I should add that I'm running Parallels in full screen.

How're you running it? Full Screen? Coherence? Crystal?

5. brvno

brvno Bit poster

It seems that settings in spaces set dedicated space for P5 Virtual machine list. But not for virtual machine.

P5 virtual machine remember space where was closed last time. And after opening (without start), window move on this space and is always in background, this "feature" is really stupid.
    ( but for example in P3 was virtual machine window annoying by switching spaces during os startup. This was good too. Keep this cool things for future Parallels team please. )

Try move virtual machine window on space, where you want have it opened next time, and close it.
    I do not have experiences with other modes, always using only windows.

6. wobbles

wobbles Bit poster

How does one set desired space for parallels?

I've been running Parallels 4 on Mac OS X 5 for a while without problem, and always had Parallels come up in Space 2. I believe this occurred because I started and stopped Parallels in that space (don't recall clearly now). Upon upgrading to Mac OS X 10.6.2 and Parallels 5, I did the same thing. This version of Parallels ignores that and starts in Space 1! My question: how does one "set" Parallels to a particular Space, as 'supertechkid' mentioned?

BTW, I'm running in "Modality" view.

Cheers,
    Dave

7. wobbles

wobbles Bit poster

Possible bug - Parallels 5 and Spaces ? Solved

Operator error!

I normally switch between spaces via control keys (1 - 4), not the spaces app (it's not even on my dock), so I forgot about it. This morning some stray brain synapse activated and I remembered the app. i fired it up, with parallels already active in Space 1. Within the spaces display, I dragged parallels from Space 1 to Space 2, and exited the spaces app. I then went to Space 2 and shut down parallels. Still in Space 2, I restarted parallels. Ta-dah! Parallels now stays in Space 2!