Possible Causing gutsy lockup.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration in Windows and Linux' started by mcginleyr1, Nov 5, 2007.

1. adrinux

adrinux Bit poster

Ah, just noticed your reply Xenos.

- decreased workstation reserved memory limit from 1236 to 348MB.
    - set acceleration to normal (was on high)
    - reduced vm max ram to 248MB

started windows ok, am about to see if it locks up when I suspend - so I'll post this first! biab

2. adrinux

adrinux Bit poster

Seemed promising at first, I was able start a vm with win XP (which was horrendously slow and clunky) and suspend without a freeze. But I then started a different win XP vm and started surfing with Firefox only to have the machine lock up (kernel panic I think, all the keyboard lights were flashing).

Further attempts to start a vm in Parallels result in it becoming unresponsive Even after a reinstall of 2204.

So basically even with those memory tweaks I'm no better off.

I've pretty much had it with Parallels. For now I'll probably just reboot with a 2.2.18 kernel, and downgrade Parallels to a version that actually works if necessary.

3. adrinux

adrinux Bit poster

In the end I uninstalled Parallels. Debian etch/testing isn't supported so it's no surprise Parallels doesn't work on it very well. It's just disappointing to see support lag so much behind the OSX version, and behind other Linux distros.

Fortunately VirtualBox 1.5 works perfectly on Debian etch/testing so I'm using that now, does everything Parallels 2 does, is fast and has 'seemless' support on Linux host.

If Parallels 3 supports Debian I'll take another look at Parallels when it comes out. For now...adios!

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

I am sorry for making you waiting for the answer.
    The new Build 2222 of Parallels Workstation 2.2 is now available. Please try.

Best regards,
    Xenos