Prevent Parallels from launching when opening a file

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by martin26, Dec 15, 2019.

1. martin26

martin26 Bit poster

I dont want parallels to open and boot windows when I open a file in my mac, even if it is for a windows program. At least it should ask me before doing it, it is really annoying.

I cannot find anywhere to configure this.

bik, BrianM25 and aliy2 like this.
  2. Hi, please check settings at Parallels Desktop -> Preferences -> General -> un tick Star Parallels as a service.
    Also please check the virtual machine settings: VM configuration -> Option -> Start up and shut down -> choose at "Start automatically" Never and check the issue.
    Let us know how does it work for you.

3. martin26

martin26 Bit poster

Thanks for your reply, can you please point me to the mentioned setting?
    both for "un tick Star Parallels as a service" and "VM configuration -> Option -> Start up and shut down"

upload_2019-12-16_11-48-27.png

Attached Files:

4. DasertK

DasertK Bit poster

I am also waiting for Maria@ Parallels's reply.

MaryF5, bik and aliy2 like this.
  5. martin26

martin26 Bit poster

hello?

MaryF5 likes this.
  6. Sorry for the delay guys,
    did you set up start up to "never" in VM configuration?

Attached Files:

7. martin26

martin26 Bit poster

where are those configs? I already showed you the only window I have found.

bik and aliy2 like this.
  8. martin26

martin26 Bit poster

are you really interested in giving us support?

aliy2 likes this.
  9. martin26

martin26 Bit poster

i finally found the way to set it to "never", click con the gear icon on the control center window, which you can find in the menu:
    upload_2020-1-4_14-20-32.png
    upload_2020-1-4_14-18-53.png

it still wont do what i want which is a simple confirmation of wether I want to open virtual windows or not.

terrible support by the way.

10. martin26

martin26 Bit poster

I figured out a way for Mac not to suggest any windows apps when using spotlight. This solved the issue.
    upload_2020-1-4_14-24-57.png

DanielN18 likes this.
  11. aliy2

aliy2 Bit poster

I can't add the windows icon here. It appears inactive when I click on +

12. IanW11

IanW11 Bit poster

I found it!
    Right click your VM in control center > configure > options tab > select applications on the left > uncheck "Share Windows Applications with Mac"

Share Windows Applications with Mac.png

SasaM and Maria@Parallels like this.
  13. bik

bik Bit poster

the said options on the said menus DO NOT EXIST. I don't think I'll be buying anything from you lazy guys. I can't even find away to post to this forum except via this "reply". I feel like saying "come back bill all is forgiven"

14. AaronR12

AaronR12 Bit poster

I found an alternative to disabling that feature. Sometimes it is nice for parallels to open a Windows only file but I hate when it opens a file and it tries to load Windows when it could have just opended with an Mac app.

SOLUTION: Just require a password to change VM states. This was you can just press cancel if the file opens with the wrong app and use the Open With.. option from the option menu to select the Mac app you want to open the file with. (Be sure to set the app as the default for that file type too.)

1. Enable "Require password to: Change virtual machine state from "My Boot Camp"/"Windows 10" Configuration > Security.
    Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 6.28.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 6.24.03 PM.png
    When your Mac tries to open a file for windows you need to type your login password or it will not start. if you didn't mean to use Windows just press cancel and no funny business trying to stop windows from taking over your Mac.
    Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 6.34.32 PM.png
    OPTIONAL: Change your file's association to prevent the issue from occuringin the future.
    1. locate the file that causes the Mac to open Windows unexpectedly and use the "Open With..." option from the option menu.
    Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 6.25.53 PM.png
    2. Select Other... so you can choose a new default app to open the file.
    Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 6.25.47 PM.png
    3. Enable "Always Open With" then select the app you want to use for the file and select it from the Application folder.
    Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 6.41.13 PM.png
    The previously desribed method from the earlier post is what I tried initially. However, it will stop this behavior for all apps; even ones that can only be opened in Windows. I find it easier to confirm that I want to open a Windows file by typing my password instead.

15. MaryF5

MaryF5 Bit poster

yes, this screen has changed and the option is removed.

16. Olga12

Olga12 Bit poster

it doesn't say open with but ok