Printer Problem

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by hbg, Jun 21, 2007.

1. hbg

hbg Member

When in Windows XP, I can print from it but not the Mac, and I have to close down Parallels and Windows XP to be able to print from the Mac. How can I fix this? It is a Lexmark Laser Printer that uses a USB connection.

2. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

This is working as designed. When your virtual USB cable is plugged into your virtual Windows PC, it cannot be simultanously plugged into a Mac. To "unplug" your printer from XP and attach it to the Mac, make sure that Parallels has the focus. In the Parallels drop down menu on the top line, click devices/USB/and click your printer to remove the checkmark next to it. You will probably want to also want to uncheck "USB Autoconnect" so it doesn't try to reconnect it. To connect the printer back to XP, click Devices/USB/and click on the printer name.

The above works for the USB connection. If your printer is attached to the "Parallels Port" the procedure is similar.

There is a way to use your printer to print from both machines simultanously. In order to do this, you set up your MAC as a print server. You will need to download Bonjour for Windows from the Apple.com website. Complete directions are here.

3. hbg

hbg Member

Thanks much. I will try it tomorrow at work. By the way, I am in Charlotte also. Great place.

4. hbg

hbg Member

As an udpate, BonJours worked great and the printer works great with both XP docs and Mac docs. Thanks much.