prl-vm_app to constantly uses 100% CPU for only ONE VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Tyrone Howe, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Tyrone Howe

Tyrone Howe Bit poster

prl-vm_app constantly uses 100% CPU for only ONE VM

Hello All

Having problems with one Windows XP VM causing prl-vm_app to constantly use 100% CPU.

I am running Parallels 6 (Build 6.0.12094) on a MacBook Air, 4GB memory.

I have been using another Windows XP VM for months with no problems at all. It runs Office and Visual Studio perfectly and when idle, the corresponding prl-vm_app only uses about 5% CPU.

Yesterday, I used Parallels Transporter Agent to migrate another Windows XP installation to my MacBook Air. Whenever I use this new version, prl-vm_app pegs the CPU at 100% straight away (even before Windows has loaded) and stays at 100% even after Windows has loaded and is sitting idle.

It’s very odd that two Windows XP VMs run so differently on the same machine.

I have carefully checked the Configuration of both VMs and they are the same (1GB memory, 1 CPU etc.). I have also gone into device manager in the second high-cpu VM and reinstalled the processor driver. Makes no difference.

Please does anyone have an idea of what I can try next?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. wycliffe

wycliffe Member

You want to delete the Windows Application folder from the dock on the Apple side.

From the Parallels Desktop menu, select Virtual Machine/Configure/Options/Applications and uncheck the Show Windows applications folder in Dock. Then reboot although not necessary.