prl_convert is missing for arm64 on a recent install under Apple ARM64

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Patrick Tracanelli, Nov 25, 2022.

1. Patrick Tracanelli

Patrick Tracanelli Bit poster

Hey!!

I am trying to convert a VM and the wizard fails to do so, so I went to command line just to find out prl_convert is missing for my architecture (M2, actually no arm version).

See:

Calling the command returns the weird illegal instruction:

(22:54:eksffa)~% /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_convert
    Illegal instruction

(22:58:eksffa)~% /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_convert FreeBSD-13.1-RELEASE-arm64-aarch64.vmdk
    Illegal instruction

But I can see its not that weired, its just not for ARM64

(22:58:eksffa)~% file "/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents//MacOS/prl_convert"
    /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents//MacOS/prl_convert: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

Its for Intel only :-(

Different from the main app:

(22:58:eksffa)~% file "/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/Parallels VM.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_vm_app"
    /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/Parallels VM.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_vm_app: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [x86_64:Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64] [arm64]
    /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/Parallels VM.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_vm_app (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
    /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/Parallels VM.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_vm_app (for architecture arm64): Mach-O 64-bit executable arm64

So its a no-go. No wonder the wizard failed, it wont include the arm arch version.

Any workaround or solution is known to this, so far?

Or should I give up parallels to run FreeBSD and keep using QEMU before you completely port it to M2?

Thank you.