Hi,
I am another of the PD4 users getting the "Unable to connect to Parallels Service. Make sure that prl_disp_service is running or check your firewall settings. If the problem persists, contact the Parallels support team for assistance." error message. It was intermittent soon after automatically updating to build 3844 but quickly became permanent. There is no "prl_disp_service" running in Activity Monitor, only "prl_naptd".
I am running an Intel iMac 20" white with 3GB of RAM, a 250GB hard drive, and a 500GB external drive permanently attached and running. A few weeks ago I updated my OS to 10.5.7 via "Erase and Install". I started Time Machine svaing to the external drive. I then installed PB4 (build 3540), re-activated it, imported my XP Home vm with 2 virtual hard drives, and installed Parallel Tools. I don't use Boot Camp. I use Bridged Ethernet Networking so the vm can access my DVR (the fixed port # is already forwarded elsewhere).
A few days after an automatic update to build 3844, the prl_disp_service error message started popping up occasionally. After a few more days every attempt to start PD4 via any means yielded the same error message. The Firewall had never been activated, but I noticed that prl_disp_service was not in the Activity Monitor list. All file permissions are up to date. I then went through the suggestions in KB's #5677, 5772, 5791 and threads #32135, 32366, 32877, 87340, 87387, and 90112. None solved the problem but here are some of the results:
Trying to force prl_disp_service to run using the code in KB5677 yielded:
WARNING: QApplication was not created in the main() thread.
Bus error
localhost was 127.0.0.1 as required by KB5772
Forwarding port 64000 to my iMac from my router had no effect.
Removing the network preference files and rebooting as suggested in KB5791 didn't help.
I then brought back the com.parallels.desktop.launch.plist file from before the problem started - didn't help.
I then performed an Uninstall (including Application Settings), rebooted, installed build 3844 (finished successfully with request to put alias in Dock), and rebooted. Launching from /Applications/Parallels Desktop gave the same error message. prl_disp_service is not present in Activity Monitor.
The only other installs during the last week were the Brother MFC-7420 scanner/printer driver, iLife, and iWork.
Are there any files that I can bring back from Time Machine to get this working?
Is it time to open at ticket or should I try another Erase and Install?
Thanks,
Francis Tanzella
I am another of the PD4 users getting the "Unable to connect to Parallels Service. Make sure that prl_disp_service is running or check your firewall settings. If the problem persists, contact the Parallels support team for assistance." error message. It was intermittent soon after automatically updating to build 3844 but quickly became permanent. There is no "prl_disp_service" running in Activity Monitor, only "prl_naptd".
I am running an Intel iMac 20" white with 3GB of RAM, a 250GB hard drive, and a 500GB external drive permanently attached and running. A few weeks ago I updated my OS to 10.5.7 via "Erase and Install". I started Time Machine svaing to the external drive. I then installed PB4 (build 3540), re-activated it, imported my XP Home vm with 2 virtual hard drives, and installed Parallel Tools. I don't use Boot Camp. I use Bridged Ethernet Networking so the vm can access my DVR (the fixed port # is already forwarded elsewhere).
A few days after an automatic update to build 3844, the prl_disp_service error message started popping up occasionally. After a few more days every attempt to start PD4 via any means yielded the same error message. The Firewall had never been activated, but I noticed that prl_disp_service was not in the Activity Monitor list. All file permissions are up to date. I then went through the suggestions in KB's #5677, 5772, 5791 and threads #32135, 32366, 32877, 87340, 87387, and 90112. None solved the problem but here are some of the results:
Trying to force prl_disp_service to run using the code in KB5677 yielded:
WARNING: QApplication was not created in the main() thread.
Bus error
localhost was 127.0.0.1 as required by KB5772
Forwarding port 64000 to my iMac from my router had no effect.
Removing the network preference files and rebooting as suggested in KB5791 didn't help.
I then brought back the com.parallels.desktop.launch.plist file from before the problem started - didn't help.
I then performed an Uninstall (including Application Settings), rebooted, installed build 3844 (finished successfully with request to put alias in Dock), and rebooted. Launching from /Applications/Parallels Desktop gave the same error message. prl_disp_service is not present in Activity Monitor.
The only other installs during the last week were the Brother MFC-7420 scanner/printer driver, iLife, and iWork.
Are there any files that I can bring back from Time Machine to get this working?
Is it time to open at ticket or should I try another Erase and Install?
Thanks,
Francis Tanzella
Last edited: