prl_vmm_disableCursor and PrlVesaBankSwitch symbols unresolved

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by jcolson, Jul 12, 2007.

1. jcolson

jcolson Bit poster

getting the above error when starting X11, so X seems to be falling back to the vesa driver instead of the parallels Linux tools driver in redhat enterprise 4 rel 4 ... anyone else have this issue?

see attached for screen cap

Thanks,
    j

Attached Files:

2. fbronner

fbronner Pro

It seems your X11 installation is not standard, my guess would be your parallel driver is not located in the right place.

Or worse, it is not being loaded automatically by the module manager. Look in the X11 config file for the module name (I'm in the office and do not have access to my VM), and make sure it is being loaded properly.

3. jcolson

jcolson Bit poster

This is a standard RH 4 rel 4 install. NOTHING was updated outside Red Hat Enterprise's RHN.

The parallels drivers are definitely FOUND by x11 (look at previous post's attachment), but I think the shared object is compiled against an incompatible x11 lib?

Tech support told me that the tools don't work with Xorg-x11-6.8??? Which is strange, because their tools contains a library for Xorg-x11-6.8. And their website says that they support RedHat Enterprise 4 (http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/os/).

Any other ideas?

4. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Yes tech support is right.

They do not support xorg 6.x, you need 7.x for parallel TOOLS to work. However, RH4 will work correctly. You just won't have the automatic resoloution adaptation of X, or the seemless movement of the mouse between the VM and the OS X. ( meaning you'll have to press CTRL-ALT to bring back mouse and keyboard control back to OS X from a RH4 session).

For your info, it works very well with Ubuntu, Kubuntu, OpenSuSE.

If you have Xorg 7.x available for RH4, you could upgrade to that version of X and you will be in business.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  5. jcolson

jcolson Bit poster

The mouse movement works fine, it's just the resize of the window that doesn't.

My delimma: We're trying to make images that we use in production for developers to unit test code releases on before going into the qa cycle, with out having to have them dual boot, etc, etc. Our production systems currently run Red Hat 4 rel 4, and I don't want to muck with X libs or ANYTHING that would alter the install.

Parallels claims to support RedHat Enterprise Server 4 on their support, page; so I'm just interested in having Parallels work where they say it works. If they don't support this release (FULLY) then they shouldn't state that they do; sound reasonable?

Thanks,
    j