prlsrvctl fails for remote machines - login failed: Unable to connect to Parallels...

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by pchandra, Jun 7, 2013.

1. pchandra

pchandra Junior Member

I'm trying to perform some automation of my VMs, via prlsrvctl and prlctl. I have two computers, both with Parallels Desktop installed. On both computers, I can run "prlsrvctl info" to get a basic dump of the product's configuration. When I try to issue the same command from one machine to the other, via:

prlsrvctl info -l username:password@hostname

I always get the following error:

Login failed: Unable to connect to Parallels Service. Make sure that the prl_disp_service process is active and it is not blocked by Firewall. For details, please refer to http://kb.parallels.com/en/8089. If the problem persists, contact the Parallels support team for assistance.

This happens regardless of which machine originates the request and which machine is the target. Thing is, prl_disp_service is running on both computers, and I have no firewall enabled, which makes the KB article referenced in the error message useless. In fact, trying to restart the launchdaemon via the commands recommended in that article yields:

hostname:~ username$ sudo launchctl stop com.parallels.desktop.launchdaemon
    launchctl stop error: No such process
    hostname:~ username$ sudo launchctl start com.parallels.desktop.launchdaemon
    launchctl start error: No such process

How can I get prlsrvctl to talk to another machine?

2. pchandra

pchandra Junior Member

I'm using SSH with public key authentication in the meantime.