holland3r@gmail.com
Bit poster
At my job, the only way to access the WiFi is via a VPN client run inside Windows. Prior to the upgrade to 4.0, I was able to share the connection with OS X by following instructions I found on this forum (I can no longer find the thread). The basic steps were:
1) Shut down Windows in Parallels and go to Configure. Add new virtual network adapter in Parallels as "Host-only Networking"
2) Run Windows, open VPN connection and click "Properties." Enable in "Advanced" tab the "Internet Connection Sharing" and select Host-only network adapter as "Home networking connection:"
3) In Mac OS X select "System Preferences"->"Network", select "Parallels Host-Guest" network port and press "Advanced..."
4) In "Configure IPv4" select "Manually", set 192.168.0.2 as "IP address", 255.255.255.0 as "Subnet Mask", 192.168.0.1 as "Router" and DNS server IP address as 192.168.0.1 under "DNS Servers". Click "Apply Now"
5) Make sure that you have no "Router" field enabled in any other network port. If you have it then switch the connection to DHCP configuration or the whole the network port to an off state for forcing Mac OS X to use 192.168.0.1 as the default router.
6) Establish VPN connection in Windows.
I believe my other network adapter (the one sharing my WiFi connection to Windows) was set in bridged mode and set to obtain an IP address via DHCP, but I don't remember exactly.
Anyway, after upgrading to 4.0 I lost the ability to do this, and have spent a few hours trying to get it to work again but to no avail. It should also be noted I installed Parallels Internet Security along with my 4.0 install, but I've disabled it until I can get my VPN sharing working again so I can be sure that it's not causing the problem.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
1) Shut down Windows in Parallels and go to Configure. Add new virtual network adapter in Parallels as "Host-only Networking"
2) Run Windows, open VPN connection and click "Properties." Enable in "Advanced" tab the "Internet Connection Sharing" and select Host-only network adapter as "Home networking connection:"
3) In Mac OS X select "System Preferences"->"Network", select "Parallels Host-Guest" network port and press "Advanced..."
4) In "Configure IPv4" select "Manually", set 192.168.0.2 as "IP address", 255.255.255.0 as "Subnet Mask", 192.168.0.1 as "Router" and DNS server IP address as 192.168.0.1 under "DNS Servers". Click "Apply Now"
5) Make sure that you have no "Router" field enabled in any other network port. If you have it then switch the connection to DHCP configuration or the whole the network port to an off state for forcing Mac OS X to use 192.168.0.1 as the default router.
6) Establish VPN connection in Windows.
I believe my other network adapter (the one sharing my WiFi connection to Windows) was set in bridged mode and set to obtain an IP address via DHCP, but I don't remember exactly.
Anyway, after upgrading to 4.0 I lost the ability to do this, and have spent a few hours trying to get it to work again but to no avail. It should also be noted I installed Parallels Internet Security along with my 4.0 install, but I've disabled it until I can get my VPN sharing working again so I can be sure that it's not causing the problem.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.