Problem Starting VM After moving Files

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by GoHawks, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

One more thing, a screenshot of the the finder window that appears if you right click on the .pvm file and pick "show package contents", this is the most important one of all.

My guess is that the .hdd file was moved out of the .pvm bundle, or its name was changed.

2. LauraT

LauraT Bit poster

HI - the hdd file is in there when I clicked on show package contents (see screenshot). Is there any way this can be accessed with the error message saying this bundle does not contain a valid VM! or can this file be moved into the new vm which I created?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

OH!

I know what happened!

You ended up with 2 .pvm files!!
    One has the .hdd and the other the rest of the files (the one that starts but doesn't find a bootable device).
    You have to move the .hdd from the first .pvm file into this last .pvm.

To be safe press show contents of both, the last .pvm should have a bunch of files (these are mostly the settings for the vm), if there's already an .hdd file in there post a screenshot of that finder window.
    If there isn't any .hdd, move the file and try to boot the .pvm.

If this solves the problem you can't imagine how lucky you are, this kind of misplacement is very hard to troubleshoot from a distance in a forum, and I would be incredibly happy if I managed to pull this one off. :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  4. LauraT

LauraT Bit poster

Hi again - OK the other one did have files so I copied the HDD file into this .pvm. It took a while to copy over (it wouldn't let me click and drag it in as it said you cannot open this file it may be corrupt when I tried to drag it over). It copied it over OK but when I tried to open the .pvm it still came up with the cannot connect to the hard disk 1 error (see screenshot below).
    Any ideas???

Attached Files:

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

From the top menu: Virtual Machine>Configure>Hardware>Hard Disk 1>Source>Choose image file (Navigate to the .pvm you are using, if it doesn't already display its contents, and pick the moved .hdd file).

6. LauraT

LauraT Bit poster

Also I clicked OK on the last message and it came up with this error saying there is no operating system??? I have also attached a screen shot of the files inside now I have moved the .hdd over on show package contents. There is nothing under the windows applications files. If I re-install windows on here will that be all of the existing files gone?
    Please let me know if you have any ideas i am desperate and was thinking we had cracked it for a minute there :(

Attached Files:

7. LauraT

LauraT Bit poster

Just tried what you suggested before - From the top menu: Virtual Machine>Configure>Hardware>Hard Disk 1>Source>Choose image file (Navigate to the .pvm you are using, if it doesn't already display its contents, and pick the moved .hdd file).

Unfortunately source doesn't give me the option of changing this file but I think it is the name of the .hdd one I moved in. Screen shot below.

Attached Files:

8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Grrr....
    You can ONLY change these settings after you have Shut down the VM!

Press the shut down button at the bottom left of the VM window.

If the window disappears, start Parallels app from the Applications folder, and pick the VM (you should know which one on the list is, you can right click on any itemon the list and pick 'show in finder' to make sure you have the right one) from the Window>Vitual machine list.

9. LauraT

LauraT Bit poster

Hello again

I managed to get in to select the correct file but unfortunately this message came up......... (screen shot below)

I think this is mission impossible :(

Thanks so much for trying to assist - your help has been fabulous!

Attached Files:

10. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Are you sure you pointed to the 25 GB file?

Well, I was really hoping seeing this problem fixed... :(

11. LauraT

LauraT Bit poster

sorry yes definately the .hdd file which I just copied in. I even tried using the original one from the other folder but it just brought up the same message saying it cannot connect to hard disk 1!!

Looks like they are completely goosed! :( Thanks for all of your help and time anyway.

L.