Problem w/ Screen Resolution (XP)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by CatsInSpace, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Wayne Brehob

Wayne Brehob Bit poster

Happens to me, too

I've had two issues with this game, "Dancy Drew and the ransom of the seven ships".

On Parallels 3, the main game video is offset up and left (like the screen shots that people have included), which causes mouse-overs to not match the video (picture having to click the mouse about 1 inch right and 0.25 inches down from a check box to activate it). I tried all sorts of stuff suggested in this thread, but nothing helped. Admittedly, I couldn't try all of the suggestions exactly because I couldn't get the MacBook to go to 640x480. Maybe if I hook up an external analog monitor I could, but it doesn't seem worth it...

On Parallels 4 the game gives an "Access Violation" and crashes whenever an attempt is made to resume a saved game.

Also, these are in two different Windows XP images, so it's possible something is wrong with them (besides the obvious fact that they're Windows). Also, I suppose it's possible the "Big Fish Games" wrapper is affecting things, but I don't want to spend more money on this game to find out.

This is a perfect example of why I use Windows only when absolutely necessary. I think I've decided this game isn't absolutely necessary...

2. BrandonN

BrandonN Bit poster

Unusually small VM display size and resolution in Windows XP

Ok, I've searched other threads and forums, and nothing seems to address a problem I've been having: After installing a Windows XP virtual machine, which was easy enough, I have been stuck with a reduced screen size and resolution, not to mention a display that looks like it's running on an Atari (16b max??)

So as I'm planning on running AutoCAD, 3D Max, Rhino and Revit on Windows, I would like to take full advantage of the great resolution of my 15.4" Mac Book Pro. I've tried adjusting the resolution in both Windows and the Parallels configure menu, but I'm limited to extremely low settings leaving me with this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52244246@N00/3948298522/in/set-72157622440131788/

Is there anyone out there have a similar experience that knows how to fix this?

BTW, I've installed Parallels Tools and reinstalled it to see if it would change anything to no avail... Help please!

BerkhanE likes this.
  3. Techhead156

Techhead156 Hunter

full screen

If this was the case, then OS would also have the same issue in Parallels I would think.. You always get full screen on a regular PC, or even in BC, when playing all games, so it has to be some sort of Parallels problem. Maybie the res on the mac is too high and so games running in PD can't scale to that resolution in full screen.

You shouldn't have to natively lower the Mac OS X display just to see your favourite game occupy the entire area just this box in the centre.

Can Parallels explain this in detail .. and what causes this ? Sounds like a video issue.