Problem with authenticating Parallels 8 licence code

mkdonspaul

Bit poster
Hello,

We had a problem trying to authenticate a licence code for Parallels 8 on an iMac.

In the end we had to use a broadband line with no proxy settings.

Does anyone know what ports Parallels 8 uses for authentication so we can ask if our network team can make these ports live in our firewall?
 
I think the problem is the proxy and not ports, for authenticating Parallels unlikely requires any inbound ports to be open, and likely just connects to a server on port 80 (if we can use the browser to surf the internet, then you can connect to port 80), most likely, because you mentioned a proxy, the proxy is restricting access to certain sites, and/or, proxy access is not correctly configures in OS X network settings.
 
Hello, can confirm our proxy settings use port 80, need them for internet access, so I'm unsure why Parallels wouldn't work...others do...
 
I've used Parallels since version 3 and haven't had a problem in the past, only this version has been a problem...when you typed the code you got the green tick, but I got network error message...but on the broadband line which had no proxy settings at all and didn't go through our firewall it authenticated in less than 2 seconds.
 
Proxy or Firewall? I think there's a confusion between these two terms, they mean different things.

A firewall typically blocks/allows access to inbound or outbound ports, and/or per application.

A proxy acts as an inter-mediator between the local network and external sites, filtering content, blocking addresses (not ports).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top