Problem with Boot Camp (Windows 10) and Parallels Client Tools (v.13)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PaulW9, Apr 17, 2018.

1. PaulW9

PaulW9 Bit poster

Hi - I have only recently encountered this problem after the latest updates from both Microsoft: between March 13, 2018--KB4088776, through to April 10, 2018--KB4093112; and from Apple: the High Sierra update for macOS 10.13.4.
    When booting into Windows 10 Boot Camp (i.e. not via Parallels), I get the following error before I can log on to Windows (from the Event Log):
    Faulting application name: prl_cc.exe, version: 13.3.0.43321, time stamp: 0x5a83f4d6
    Faulting module name: TouchBar.dll, version: 13.3.0.43321, time stamp: 0x5a83f497
    Exception code: 0xc000041d
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000010f2e
    Faulting process ID: 0x20fc
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d3d643e6990243
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Parallels Tools\prl_cc.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Parallels Tools\Plugins\TouchBar.dll
    Report ID: 62e6dd28-64da-477a-b0fe-1a51f75dee45
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

I'm using an iMac 2017 edition, so there is no touchbar (as referenced in the error log). The Bluetooth Magic Keyboard (extended) works fine, although is slower to connect with Windows than in macOS. However, the Magic Mouse 2 is not working at all. And I cannot get it to work from within Windows at all, even by removing and re-adding it; I have to boot back into macOS and re-pair it from there as it's completely lost the connection. Now when I boot back into Windows the same issue occurs. A USB-connected mouse works fine of course. The only way I could find to fix both issues is to uninstall the Parallels Client Tools. After rebooting, everything works fine. I checked for new versions online, but this appears to be the latest. Latest everything - Windows 10 updates. macOS updates. And Until a couple of weeks ago - this problem didn't exist. Please can someone advise - is there a fix? I'm not sure it's all related - but the Parallels bug is new.

At the moment, I can't use the Windows 10 Boot Camp satisfactorily from within Parallels now - not with the client tools uninstalled - I suspect the latest Windows updates affected something, and if I reinstall it the error pops-up again in native-mode. I used to be able to boot natively into Windows without the Parallels Client Tools crashing.

I have seen this Bluetooth issue mentioned on Apple forums too, but they don't mention a Parallels link. But I'm pretty sure it's an MS update that broke things. e.g. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8339212.

EDIT: Update 18/4 - I removed the MS update KB4088776 and the mouse is working again, but I had to disable Windows updates after that to stop if from reinstalling. Not sure if this fixes the Parallels issue too yet.

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018