Problem with installation of Windows XP

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by pharmerjohn, Aug 13, 2007.

1. pharmerjohn

pharmerjohn Bit poster

I am using a 2GB iMac Intel Core 2 Duo with wireless mouse and keyboard and OS 10.4.10. I downloaded the trial version of Parallels Desktop 3.0 (build 4560). I have a brand new full version of Windows XP Home SP2 (never installed anywhere). When I run Parallels Desktop and insert the Windows CD as per screen instructions, I see "Windows Setup" on the screen and the program spends a couple of minutes loading files from the CD, then it flashes several lines of text on the screen too quickly to read, then it changes to a screen that says Windows XP is suspended and shows the configuration. I suspect that the info that was momentarily displayed indicated that there was an error, but there doesn't seem to be any way to capture that info, so I can't really tell you what the problem is. If I press the green Start button, the screen shows what looks like a DOS display, a couple of lines with memory numbers and a third line with the text "Boot from hard drive...". It didn't look like it was doing anything (that is, nothing changed in the parallels window) and I left it like that for over 3 hours, and nothing happened. I couldn't find anything in the manuals or on the website about this behavior. Any suggestions?

2. kat

kat Product Expert

hi John,

Make sure that the windows xp sp2 is not just the update. has to be the full os.

kat

3. pharmerjohn

pharmerjohn Bit poster

Yes it is the full package (the box says for PCs without Windows).

4. kat

kat Product Expert

have you tryed selecting the boot sequence that says "CD-ROM, Hard Disk, Floppy".

kat

5. pharmerjohn

pharmerjohn Bit poster

Yes, it does the same thing. It loads the files from the CD, then says "Setup is starting Windows", then flashes several lines of text for about 3 seconds, then almost immediately erases the screen and puts Windows stopped and the configuration on the screen. I was able to catch a few words before it erased the screen, something about initialization failed.

6. kat

kat Product Expert

this is from the knowledge base it may help you

Problems When Installing or Running Parallels Desktop
    Print
    Rate Excellent Very Good Good Fair Poor
    Views: 11610
    Votes: 37

Problem Description:

Errors occur when you try to install or update Parallels Desktop, create or open virtual machines, load the required drivers to the guest OS Guest operating system (guest OS) designates an operating system that runs under virtual machine control. One primary OS and multiple guest OSes can run at the same time on a single computer..

Symptoms:

The symptoms may vary from Parallels Desktop installation/update failure to problems during its operation, like inability to load required drivers, create VM, etc.

Cause:

Mac OS system failure or incorrect software update may result in inabilty to install Parallels Desktop or load system files properly. Working in Mac OS for long periods of time without restart may lead to some minor glitches to appear in the system as a whole.

Solution:

To resolve these issues, do the following:

1. Reboot your Mac.

2. Browse the Applications folder. Open Utilities and launch Disk Utility.

3. Select Macintosh HD on the left tab and click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

4. Launch the Uninstall Parallels Desktop application (you can find it on the Parallels Desktop CD or in the downloaded Parallels Desktop DMG package) and follow the on-screen instructions. Please note that Parallels Uninstaller does not remove virtual machines from your Macintosh hard disk. It is important to use the Uninstaller of the Parallels Desktop version currently installed or newer.

5. Delete these folders, if they can be found in your system:

/Library/StartupItems/Parallels/Applications/Parallels 6. You may also need to delete the following files (it is recommended to restart your Macintosh computer before deleting them):

/System/Library/Extensions/vmmain.kext/System/Library/Extensions/hypervisor.kext/System/Library/Extensions/Pvsvnic.kext/System/Library/Extensions/ConnectUSB.kext/System/Library/Extensions/Pvsnet.kext7. Repeat steps 2-3.

8. Restart your computer again and install Parallels Desktop for Mac.

Related to products:

Parallels Desktop 2.x
    Parallels Desktop 3.x
    Others in this Category related to this Product:

Launching Parallels Desktop after the Upgrade
    How to Check the Version Number of Parallels Desktop
    Upgrading to Parallels Desktop 3.0
    Upgrading to Localized Parallels Desktop 3.0
    Problems with Installing Parallels Software in Windows OS
    How to Install Windows Vista Upgrade Version

7. pharmerjohn

pharmerjohn Bit poster

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it didn't work. I followed the steps in the Knowledge Base . None of the files listed in step 6 were present. I started from scratch. I deleted every reference to Parralels that I could find (including the downloaded image file) and every reference to Windows XP that I could find (there was a file on my desktop with the name Windows XP), and I ejected the Windows CD. I rebooted several times during this process. I then downloaded a brand new disk image of Parallels from the website. Ran the installer (by the way, it didn't ask me for an activation key like it did the very first time I ran the installer a couple of days ago; is there something left on my Mac even after I went through the steps in the Knowledge Base article?). Anyhow, the installation finished. I then opened the Parallels Desktop file. But the program did not go through the expected process of installing Windows. It just showed a window labeled "Microsoft Windows XP - Parallels Desktop" which contained the text "Windows XP Suspended" and listed the configuration. It would appear that something was left on my Mac that said I had previously tried to install Windows, but it definitely was not the files listed in the Knowledge Base. What do I do now? Do I need to remove left over references, and how do I do it?

8. pharmerjohn

pharmerjohn Bit poster

Well after my last post I was just about to go the Boot Camp path, but decided to give it one last try. From the window that I described in my last post, I set the boot sequence to be CD Rom first, inserted the Windows XP CD, and pressed the green Start VM button. Strangely enough (since I had already tried to set this boot sequence and it did not work), this time the program actually seemed to be working. Windows Startup spent maybe 5 minutes reading various files from the CD and it said that setup would take another 39 minutes. But just when I thought everything was OK, I got a Fatal Error message inside the window: "Installation Failed: D:\I386\asms One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed. Device is not ready."

I intend to search the website for the meaning and solution to this problem, but maybe someone has a quick answer.

9. emdoller

emdoller Junior Member

Me too...

I followed the recomended "fix" as well and am still having this issue. Has anyone come up with a fix?

Ed

10. kat

kat Product Expert

hi pharmerjohn
    Sorry, been on vacation. Have you tryed to make a new vm? Forget the one you already made...try a fresh install give it another name, try following the typical configurations...you can alway make changes to this once the vm is up and running..
    kat

11. emdoller

emdoller Junior Member

I tried 5 times each time deleting the old as recomended in the parallels "knowledge base" to no avail. I'll be damed if I'm going to pay someone $30 for their help when their S/W doesn't work... amazing.

Ed

12. kat

kat Product Expert

hi Ed

I sent you a pm with a few questions.

kat

13. IslandGirl

IslandGirl Bit poster

I am having the exact problem that pharmerjohn has been experiencing w/ Paralles and have the same iMac configuration. Did he get his problem resolved? I'm a pretty green iMac newbie and am seriously questioning my decision to go w/ a MAC platform. I'd really appreciate any help trying to get this s/w to work.

14. kat

kat Product Expert

i found this post on another thread it may help

hodgepodge

Join: Aug 2007
    Posts: 2 Yesterday, this article was posted to the knowledge base.

Installing Windows OS from Disk Image File Using Mac OS X Disk Utility. Problems During Windows Installation. Installation from the Disk Fails.

http://kb.parallels.com/entry/30/458/

I was experiencing the same problem as described in this thread where I installed Parallels 3.0 on my Mac and then the XP home edition install would hang while trying to boot from the hard drive. I uninstalled & reinstalled Parallels several times but always the desktop came up with the same configuration page & OS window.

I followed the directions in the above article & created a brand new virtual machine (named Damn Windows XP). Now XP is running on my Mac like it is right at home. Maybe the cuss word was what it was waiting for? Now I just need to figure out how to delete all the busted virtual machines that ended up on my desktop from trying to follow the directions in the manual.

Hope this helps.

15. IslandGirl

IslandGirl Bit poster

It worked! I just went through the process that you recommended and it worked like a charm. Mahalo.

16. Fireproofed

Fireproofed Bit poster

Sheesh

It also worked for me. WHY WAS THIS SOLUTION SO HARD TO FINE?? Trying to find this here thread was even amazingly hard. "Problem with installation of Windows XP" and I have to search for ever to find this. This here answer! It should be as easy as

Problem:
    Problem with installation of Windows XP
    XP Installation problem
    BSOD on XP Installation
    Error installing XP
    Installing XP issues

anyone of the above

Answer: Install XP from .iso instead of CD ROM

17. Phillip Christiansen

Phillip Christiansen Bit poster

Windows XP SP1 Install failure

Similar problem to pharmerjohn similar setup except using XP SP1 disk.
    Parallel installs fine. Can install virtual machine separately O.K. but system hangs when installing Windows XP. It appears that the XP install loses track of its location during the installing devices phase. It will go through the setup—language, keyboard, admin. Password—and begin installing files. It will reach a point where it requires rebooting. After rebooting it starts the process all over again. When it reaches the “Installing Windows†Stage, it hangs.

Did fixes by:
    * dragonkat (posted 2/2007) – “Repair Disk Permissions.“
    * dragonkat (2/2007) – “try a fresh installâ€
    * dragonkat (2/2007) – “Installing Windows OS from Disk Image Fileâ€

I even made sure that after installing Parallels, I created the virtual machine without loading the O.S. I then updated Parallels from the website, did the fixes above, and tried to install the OS. Same problem.

System specs:
    * Processor 065-6991 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * Memory 065-6993 4GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    * Hard Drive 065-6997 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200
    * Optical Drive 065-6998 SuperDrive 8X
    * Display 065-7028 MacBook Pro 17-in Hi-Res WideS
    * Modem 065-6999 NO MODEM
    * Apple Software Solutions 065-6822 Aperture 1.5

18. Phillip Christiansen

Phillip Christiansen Bit poster

Success!

Don't know why.

Just deleted the VM reinstalled and did a custom install separately. Have done it before but this time it worked. I may have always installed the language packs as part of the custom installs before; I didn't this time. Can't say if its related.

Don't know why the other 2 types of installs failed.

19. brb

brb Bit poster

Hey PChris. I just bought a MACBook Pro. 17 "2.4 Core Dual Intel 4mg RAM Installed Parrellels 3.0. Upgraded to current build. Used Windows express wizard to Install Windows XP using OEM XP Pro SP 1 disk. Windows install hung up but windows does run but I keep getting blue screen asking me to CHKDSK. If I let it run it freezes at step 1 of 3 .75% complete. I then have to shut down VM. When I restart VM and get chkdsk screen I hit space bar and it goest into Windows. If I try to get Windows updates I get 61 updates available but they won't install because I do not have SP 2. My local computer guy burned me a SP 2 CD and when I tried to install it said there was a problem with Cryptology and could not install. He is not a MAC guy but suggested I reinstall Parellels and resinstall WIndows.How did you get rid of the problematic XP VM. I am a newbie to MAC. Thanks!

20. cstrach

cstrach Bit poster

Will try the above solution, but I was able to hit "Pause" and capture the error before it quit; below is the message. There's actually an error code given, but wasn't able to click fast enough to capture it:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and the select Safe Mode.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008