Problems with move from MacBookPro to MacPro

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ianjw, Nov 28, 2006.

1. ianjw

ianjw Bit poster

Hi - I'm moving all my stuff onto a new MacPro and user the Migration assistant to move all apps and data

All other apps work great except Parallels

So far I have tried
    - Un-installed Parallels on the MacPro using uninstaller on the CD and re-installed
    - Un-installed Parallels on the MacPro using uninstaller on the CD and used spotlight to find ALL files and directories reated to parallels and deleted 'em
    - Re-installed Parallels on MacPro and tried to build a new VM from scratch
    - Re-installed Parallels on MacPro and copied just the pvs and hdd files off the old MacBook Pro onto the MacPro
    - Stood on my head and burned incense

None have worked

Every time I press "Play" on Parallels to start the VM I get the "Grey curtain of death" and the "you must re-boot your Mac" message

Everything ran smooth as silk on the MacBook Pro.

Please help! Any advice much appreciated

Ian

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

Download the latest version of Parallels (1970 as of this writing) and try again. A search of the forum would have answered this for you and eliminated the need for the post and answer.

3. dghpts

dghpts Junior Member

Actually, JOEM, I have the same issue, going from a Mac Pro to a MacBook Pro. I searched the forums and didn't find the answer.

Also, my copy of Parallels is less than two weeks old so I think I already have the latest version.

Having just made the switch, and diving into the deep end (replacing desktop and travel notebook in one swell foop) I found the grey curtain of death VERY disconcerting. Since I just got my Macbook Pro this weekend (C2D 2.33, 2 gig, 160), I hadn't yet switched over from my HP notebook (CD, 2 gig, 100gig) and was planning to fight the switchover battles between Christmas and New Years.

My new Mac Pro runs my Windows Apps with no problems faster than ANY Windows machine I have ever owned, but I need to be able to synchronize the Mac Pro with the Macbook Pro. I was told I could just copy the WINXP folder from my Mac Pro to my library folder on the Macbook Pro and run Parallels then select the VM I copied.

This caused the grey curtain of death and a hard reboot. Tried it three times then gave up and took the HP on my current business trip. Since I travel 50% to 75% I need both machines synchronized.

Any ideas how to synchronize between two machines? And have it work? And yes I searched, but didn't find the same scenario. Any help or direction would be appreciated, I love the new Apples and want to be using both of them ASAP.

4. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

Ianjw,
    Please follow these steps:
    1) copy from the MacBook Pro the pvs and hdd files to Mac Pro
    2) download new 1970 build from
    http://www.parallels.com/en/download/desktop/
    with Mac Pro support and install it.
    3) Use your VM on the Mac Pro

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2006
  5. ianjw

ianjw Bit poster

Thanks!

Thanks! Worked great.

I didn't have the Parallels auto check for updates on.

6. joem

joem Forum Maven

Check the build number. Start Parallels. Don't start a VM. Go to the menu and look at Parallels>About.

If the build number is less than 1970, you have a version that is not compatible with the core 2 duo and need to download the latest.

If you bought a CD, you probably don't have the latest version.

7. SarathiG

SarathiG Bit poster

When none of these are working, you can go with some other ideas to execute. One more thing, What is "Stood on my head and burned incense" i am not getting this.